General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(regular) Wed 11-Jun-14 14:34:11
Print Post

upstream SNR margin drops a lot if phone receiver picked up

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I recently posted this

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4334685-line-...

Part of it was about an issue I used to have on ADSL in that often when the phone used to ring the line would go down 99 times out of 100, this went away when I was able to upgrade to fibre, however..............

I've now realised that in the last few days whenever someone picks up the phone receiver (without it ringing or someone even starting to dial out) that the upstream noise margin plummets from the usual figure of around 6 to 1 or under (it's even gone down to 0 and caused disconnects).

Just wondering if anyone had any idea what it could be???, I've not tried it plugged into the test socket at the moment as my internet has gone down 3 times in the space of 5 mins so really don't want to disconnect again so soon and risk DLM kicking in.

As usual any help greatly appreciated.

Mike
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Jun-14 14:54:18
Print Post

Re: upstream SNR margin drops a lot if phone receiver picked

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

Not read all the old posts, but points to a HR Fault, High Resistance fault.

There are tests engineers and call centres can run to help identify these, but now and then the tests can miss an issue.

If still affecting you on FTTC, suggests internal to home or on the run to the cabinet is most likely.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(regular) Wed 11-Jun-14 15:18:13
Print Post

Re: upstream SNR margin drops a lot if phone receiver picked

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I thought when I was on ADSL that it was likely to be a HR fault but they could never find the issue, (I know they are a pain in the [censored] to find) I upgraded to fibre as soon as I was able to and the issue went so we all thought that the HR issue was between the cab and the exchange (which was always likely as the cab is only 700m or so away where as the exchange is more like 5km away), but in the last couple of days I noticed that my upsteams noise margin was a lot lower than normal and then obviously found out that the issue has come back worse than before now and happens when we pick up the phone receiver.
Looking at the upstream bands it seems to be U1 that is the main culprit, currently U0 is 6.2, U1 is 5.0 and U2 is 6.1 and if we take the phone off the hook U0 and U2 go down to 3.5 or so but U1 is 1 or under.
I've also found out that at least part of the line from the cab to my house is aluminium and also that someone who is on the same cab as me but a couple of roads away is having issues with his upload as well.
I guess it looks like it's time for another engineer to pay a visit to look into it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to