General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User atgw
(newbie) Wed 11-Jun-14 15:49:29
Print Post

How can I check on fibre cabinet plans?

[link to this post]

I live in a village called Cholsey, exchange THCLY. My understanding is that the exchange is due to be upgraded to FTTC this year under the BDUK http://www.betterbroadbandoxfordshire.org.uk/ programme.

However, the cabinet/postcode maps on their site are confusing as they indicate my postcode OX109FF is due for upgrade works to commence by Dec 2015, but their Cabinet map does not seem to include any planned work for Cabinet 5 to which my line is connected.

Just a bit miffed as the other cabinets have planned works, but cover the area of teh village which already has access to Virgin Media, whereas the houses connected to Cabinet 5 do not!

Even if the cabinet is not upgraded, would the exchange upgrade at least bring WBC to the rest of us? I'm currently in the slow lane on ADSL Max.

Any help in shedding light on this would be gratefully received.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Jun-14 16:12:23
Print Post

Re: How can I check on fibre cabinet plans?

[re: atgw] [link to this post]

The situation with WBC is quite complex with fibre. Sometimes they won't use your local exchange to route the fibre back to, but a logistically easier one. For example, in your example, they may route the cabs back to Wallingford exchange as it will already have all the fibre handover gear installed. It's not certain though.

I am 99% certain that all exchanges that have a fibre node in them also get WBC, so if they do route back to your exchange, they will give you an upgrade to WBC.

However, looking at the adsl checker for that postcode it's doubtful you'll get a huge upgrade from ADSL2+, as it is saying 4mbit/sec is what you are likely to get on ADSL.

I would contact the better broadband oxfordshire people and see what's going on.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Jun-14 16:19:03
Print Post

No plans for P5 or P6
P4, P2, P1, P3 are planned but no firm dates I think.

Its clear why 5 and 6 are not enabled, the number of lines on them would make it expensive to install a fibre cabinet at this time, around 1/3 the number of lines of the next largest cabinet at the exchange.

Don't have any information, but looking at size of the exchange I doubt it will be a fibre handover node, likely to goto an exchange with more cabinets and lines. So FTTC arriving is probably not going to bring WBC ADSL2+ to you.

Have you checked whether TalkTalk or Sky ADSL2+ is at the exchange already.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User atgw
(newbie) Wed 11-Jun-14 16:49:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks both - a shame that there are no plans for my cabinet and WBC

My line does sync at 8128kbps with a attenuation of 28.0db and noise margin of 7.6db so I would have hoped for a good upgrade from ADSL2+ but alas that may not happen!

There are no LLU providers in the exchange unfortunately or I would have jumped on one of them.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(regular) Wed 11-Jun-14 18:02:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by atgw:
Thanks both - a shame that there are no plans for my cabinet and WBC

My line does sync at 8128kbps with a attenuation of 28.0db and noise margin of 7.6db so I would have hoped for a good upgrade from ADSL2+ but alas that may not happen!

There are no LLU providers in the exchange unfortunately or I would have jumped on one of them.

AAISP availability checker on your post code comes back with

TT availability checker response

Estimated standard ADSL download speed 5,854kb/s to 12,725kb/s.

Estimated Annex-M speed 1,500kb/s Up, and 7,500kb/s down.

which seems to indicate that the TT back haul is in there for you, (i was told i was moving over to talk talk back haul as well even though sam knows etc says not available, but sure enough i was moved over to talk talk on adsl2, so it looks like your exchange is the same as it says sorry TT not enabled at exchange if its not available)
  Print Thread

Jump to