General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thechrisenglish
(newbie) Thu 12-Jun-14 16:15:41
Print Post

BENTON exchange - cabinet roll out

[link to this post]

I've recently moved house and I'm connected to Benton exchange on Cabinet 21 - which seems to be one of the only cabinets which are not FTTC. Stupidly before moving I didn't check FTTC status on the street I live on, as I work in the area and have seen the FTTC cabinets for the last year I just assumed where I've moved to would also be FTTC.

I tend to walk around the area a fair bit and I'm keeping an eye out for other non-FTTC cabinets, so far I've seen none. Cabinet 21 seems to be the only one in the area which hasn't been given the FTTC treatment.

Is anybody else in the same position where their cabinet is the only one to have not been upgraded to FTTC yet? Also does anybody have information on whether cabinet 21 is on any upgrade plans?

It's incredibly frustrating that I've gone from 45Mb to around 2Mb - sometimes <1Mb on a bad night. I had these speeds in a small rural Co. Durham village 10 years ago! I didn't expect to have the same speeds 10 years later in a reasonably well built up suburb of Newcastle.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Jun-14 17:22:57
Print Post

Re: BENTON exchange - cabinet roll out

[re: thechrisenglish] [link to this post]

Benton as in near the Freeman hospital?

That is the exchange NEB, and has 48 cabinets and yours is the 2nd smallest one I think - not good news.
NE27 0BX, NE27 0BW, NE27 0BU, NE27 0BE seem to be the four postcodes covered by the cabinet.

The cabinet may be done at a later phase, but the size makes it unlikely to get the normal sized cabinets, may be a case of waiting for spare money for FTTP or the Fibre to the Remote Node (i.e. small waterproof box that can be put in hole in pavement) or on pole and provide VDSL2. So probably 2 years or maybe more, hopefully council will prove prediction wrong.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thechrisenglish
(newbie) Thu 12-Jun-14 17:34:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, yes that's the one, my post code is in the 4 you've listed.

Not good news then, luckily I'm renting so if things don't improve then I can move if required.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pehaw
(learned) Sun 15-Jun-14 09:21:21
Print Post

[re: thechrisenglish] [link to this post]

Unlucky.

I am on Benton Cab 49.

It has just had it's FTTC cab installed after what seems like years of waiting since the exchange was enabled. Now just a further, hopefully much shorter, wait for it to start taking orders...

I hope you get some better news soon.
Standard User pehaw
(learned) Thu 26-Jun-14 12:44:18
Print Post

[re: pehaw] [link to this post]

Yes!!

BENTON 49

Checked the DSL Checker today and...

FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 74.6 20 19.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 64.2 20 17.9 -- Available

Wow. I've been checking this damn checker for years and now it's available it just seems unreal.
  Print Thread

Jump to