General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dave73
(newbie) Mon 16-Jun-14 23:45:29
Print Post

What speed can I expect 2.7km from FTTC enabled cabinet?

[link to this post]

Hi

I am looking at purchasing a house that is 2.7km (by road) from its FTTC enabled cabinet.
The DSL checker is showing 10-15mbps for clean and 5-10 for impacted. The ADSL2 download speed is showing as up to 1mbps with a download range of 1-3.5mbps

The problem is the vendor is still on a standard ADSL package (and has not upgraded to BT "Faster Broadband") and does not really use their computer (It would not turn on!). When I tested with a wireless device connected to their router I got a miserable 0.5mbps.

Very concerned that the speed will be less than the 5-10 shown for impacted, never mind the 10-15 clean.

Also does anybody know if I decided to get a leased line at say £500/month, would this cost cover any installation cost or is that built into the lease price? It might be the only workable solution for this house and my SME.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jun-14 07:51:26
Print Post

Re: What speed can I expect 2.7km from FTTC enabled cabinet?

[re: dave73] [link to this post]

If truly a 2.7k D-side from the cab, I'd have thought the quoted estimates were surprisingly high.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 17-Jun-14 08:01:37
Print Post

I would guess the leased line charges don't include excess construction charges which can't be determined until a full survey has taken place.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 17-Jun-14 08:10:14
Print Post

You can use this checker to find the cable length http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

You should have checked the line stats in the router really for attenuation and maybe SNR margin.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jun-14 09:04:30
Print Post

At that distance if its correct then be more prepared for 1 to 2 Mbps from VDSL2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jun-14 09:08:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by dave73:
Also does anybody know if I decided to get a leased line at say £500/month, would this cost cover any installation cost or is that built into the lease price? It might be the only workable solution for this house and my SME.
Is FTTPoD not available in your area? That would probably work out cheaper than a leased line especially the monthly charge.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 17-Jun-14 09:20:07
Print Post

Speeds are higher than I would expect. Do you know which way the lines actually run? Do they follow the road or do they cut across fields?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Jun-14 13:28:38
Print Post

I agree that the speed looks high for that length of standard (0.5mm) copper cable. My rule-of-thumb is that you can expect SFBB speeds (25Mbps+) at around 1300 metres, and that service can run out anywhere between 2km and 3km. Upstream usually dies first at longer distances.

On the other hand, if the cable were 0.9mm, it would behave like a line of half the distance, with 0.7mm cable somewhere between. There isn't much of the thicker stuff around, but who knows: you might be lucky.

Back in the past, someone (using Plusnet) got a working connection at over 4km, just. They are bound to have been on something thicker than 0.5mm cable.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,9436...

The TBB guide reckons on 15Mbps at 1500 metres. It seems a tad pessimistic to me, but they do say they include a lot of allowance for crosstalk (ie high takeup).

This website is more optimistic than TBB, and would believe it to be a reasonable speed: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-b...

If you want to be more sure about the prospects for leased line - at least sufficiently well before you buy the house - I'd suggest talking to someone who sells them. I usually use the Spitfire website to look at product details & costs, but I've never used their services. Worth calling them?

What are your prospects for 4G?
Standard User carrobesit
(newbie) Tue 17-Jun-14 14:54:17
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

For the leased line, that per month price won't include any "excess construction charges" to get the fibre to your house - they will be quoted separately to you after an Openreach survey. Unfortunately, you will generally have to place an order before Openreach will come out and do the survey, although if you find the excess charges too high you can cancel without penalty.
Standard User dave73
(newbie) Sun 22-Jun-14 20:47:44
Print Post

[re: carrobesit] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies.

Google maps shows its 2.6-2.7km. Telephone lines run along roads. Knocking on door of somebody on same road, same cab but 500-600m closer, he said he was getting 2-2.5mbps with ADSL.

Fibre on demand is not available (yet) and 4G is also not available. In fact 3G is hardly available since I only get 1 bar outside house and nothing inside.

Just seems a bit grim really.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to