General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(member) Tue 17-Jun-14 11:36:04
Print Post

Going to buy an OR Modem, any recommendations?

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

Ok, though I thought the HH5 was 'ok', this remote administering is causing me some issues. Also I've just had to hard reboot the HH5 as I couldnt even connect to it using the web interface. I hardly had any problems with my old netgear dg834gt with lockups etc for over 5 years.. so this is a poor setup.

So what are peoples setups? I've noticed on ebay there is an OR ECI modem, and an OR Huawei modem. I have read that one is preferred over the other? I remember some people saying it was to do with the equipment its connecting to at the exchange. But how would I find that information out?

Also after sorting the modem. What are peoples preferred own routers? What's the best combination?

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jun-14 11:46:24
Print Post

Re: Going to buy an OR Modem, any recommendations?

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

The Huwawei is most folks choice, as can be unlocked to see line stats quite easily.

I personally think that pairing the make of the modem with the DSLAM manufacturer as a way of improving performance is just hearsay. But if you wish to go that route, go look at your cabinet and associated DSLAM cabinet to find out who the maker is. Robertos has pictures to help identify which is which on his site.

Standard User IranianGiraffe
(regular) Tue 17-Jun-14 11:51:51
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Hi,

I had an ECI modem when I had fibre installed but as I've always had issues on my line I couldn't see the line stats etc of what was happening to it, because of this I decided to get myself a Huawei HG612 3b modem and unlock it so I could see the line stats (you can do it with the ECI modem as well but it's much easier with the Huawei).
Regarding what equipment it's connecting to at the cabinet/exchange etc some say it's better to have the same make as the equipment in cabinet, and apparently the ECI throws out less errors than the Huawei and so you have more chance of not being on interleave etc with one, personally I have found it to be the opposite, since changing to the Huawei modem and using the latest unlocked firmware I've synced 2meg higher and my line has had the interleaving removed that I had when I was using the ECI. Like I said though others have found the opposite to be the case, I can only go by my personal experience and for me the unlocked Huawei has been better (my cabinet is an ECI as well).

My setup is the Huawei modem into a Billion 7800n router (reason I'm using that is because it worked really well for my long ADSL line before fibre and it could be used with a fibre modem so didn't see any reason to buy a new one).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User xreyuk123
(learned) Tue 17-Jun-14 22:53:46
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

I've got an ECI with my newest install.

I've heard the same about the HG612, in that it can cause more errors, however, the most frustrating thing for me is that I can't see any line stats on the ECI, so I've ordered myself an HG612 on eBay. I'll probably use that for diagnostics if/when needed, and maybe leave the ECI in place. For me though, it's invaluable to be able to see line stats.

If you do buy a HG612 on eBay, make sure you buy the 3B version. Previous versions had problems with overheating.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 18-Jun-14 10:40:58
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I personally think that pairing the make of the modem with the DSLAM manufacturer as a way of improving performance is just hearsay.

In the early days of ADSL that was very true.

With the current VDSL implementation it certainly is hearsay. In most installations I have seen the difference in sync speeds is minimal. There will be the occasional one where one brand of modem performs better than the other, such as here, where an ECI modem gives an additional 4Mbps and I am connected to a Huawei cabinet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 19-Jun-14 00:02:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

We have ECI street kit in my area and the ECI modem it syncs at 44Mbps, the Huawei I have syncs at 50Mbps and my recently acquired Billion 8800NL VDSL2 router syncs at 52Mbps.
  Print Thread

Jump to