General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User B31
(newbie) Thu 19-Jun-14 14:42:45
Print Post

Birmingham PRIORY - Fibre and CAB location?

[link to this post]

Can anyone advise on the status/likelihood for fibre broadband for my location?

The exchange, and most of the area, has been enabled for fibre for a while, but not my cab.

The exchange is in Northfield, Birmingham - CMPRI - Priory

According to the phone line checker, I am on Cabinet 18

Postcode is B31 5DB (a new road, on a new build development)

BT haven't been able to provide any information, other than it may be a commerical decision - which is strange with the amount of new homes being built in the area.

Also, can anyone tell me where that cabinet is?

Thanks in advance smile

Edit: In case it helps (my postcode being new), a nearby postcode B315LF is shown to be on the same CAB.

Edited by B31 (Thu 19-Jun-14 15:07:24)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 19-Jun-14 15:11:26
Print Post

Re: Birmingham PRIORY - Fibre and CAB location?

[re: B31] [link to this post]

http://goo.gl/maps/kkrbr
Dosnt seem to be included in any plans at present
Standard User B31
(newbie) Thu 19-Jun-14 15:21:02
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Cheers for checking, and for the location

So the CAB is about 0.4 to 0.5 miles away, not sure how much impact that has on fibre speeds (If it ever gets enabled).

The annoying thing is I'm very close to fibre - a property 200ft away from me - on the adjoining road - can get fibre, but from a different exchange.

It is the same for virgin media - their cables go past both ends of my road, but being on a new road they don't go past my house and the "cable my street" team inform me they are not actively extending their network, so I'm stuck on 1.9 Mbps ADSL. frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kebabselector
(newbie) Thu 19-Jun-14 15:41:00
Print Post

Chances are when the cab was checked for the upgrade your estate didn't exist so it didn't meet the scope/capacity required for fibre.

Not sure why Virgin aren't keen either, a colleague at work has just moved into a new build in Cofton Hackett (Old Rover site, Longbridge) and they have services for Virgin available.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb.
Exchange is Fibre enabled, street cab not economically viable to upgrade.
Could get V*rgin, but I'd rather not.

Edited by kebabselector (Thu 19-Jun-14 15:43:40)

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 19-Jun-14 15:41:09
Print Post

I'm in Kings Norton B38, Very busy for homes as you would know yourself yet no FTTC at all apart from Virgin's cable network which works very well here...

I would assume that Openreach will fill you in sometime towards the end of this year or by the end of next...

I know Priory is in the FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) roll-out and think (though not sure) there aiming to be finished with that by 2016.

Just had a look at your location and you might be served for fibre from Rubery as that is closer but that again is a case of waiting and hoping Openreach notice you and your neighbours struggling.

Though you might have a better chance of being served by Virgin as I have noticed they are starting to fill in the blank spots around South Birmingham.

Openreach will be reluctant to investing in a Virgin Media rich area..

I was also told by someone from a fibre vouchers scheme in Birmingham that Virgin had acquired funding for Birmingham South and where one of the main reasons Kings Norton exchange isn't seeing any quick plans for future fibre roll-out.

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 19-Jun-14 15:42:41
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

Yeah I've seen the places up Cofton and they are ready for both AFAIK... The whole Virgin network up there has been redone... Brand new.

Standard User B31
(newbie) Thu 19-Jun-14 16:19:51
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Cheers all. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed...

Would be interesting if Virgin Media do extend their network a bit.

The area is a mix of old and new homes along the main roads, and derelict land in the middle (previously six tower blocks, demolished circa 10 years ago) surrounded by the odd few houses.

I think my developer dropped the ball on the broadband provision. The rest of the area is Kier Construction, I hope they are talking to BT etc.

Might write a few emails/letters.
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 19-Jun-14 16:22:18
Print Post

Might be worth contact MP for the area too, Just write everybody and getting your neighbours in on it too will help.

Standard User B31
(newbie) Mon 23-Jun-14 20:29:50
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Cheers.

Already contacted my MP (last year) but have sent a further email to see if there was any update (I think he was waiting for one CSP and Birmingham City Council to reply).

I've also emailed BCC property services myself but they came back with a weird response stating they have no leases on record... Either they didn't read the email properly or I got the wrong email address.

I've also emailed ofcom on a "monitoring form" and found an openreach email address on this site - http://www.exbtengineers.com/bt-complaints/

Now for more waiting...
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Mon 23-Jun-14 20:32:04
Print Post

fair play to you, hope you get something slightly helpful back.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to