General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User agriffiths73
(newbie) Fri 20-Jun-14 21:17:21
Print Post

Decreasing FTTC Speed

[link to this post]

Some time ago we had a battle with Plus Net to get our fibre connection sorted after moving house, being told that despite us connecting to the same cabinet as our old house where we have about 10Mbp/s, it's not available at our new house, closer to the cabinet.

So - after a lot of effort, it got connected, and we had a service at about 13Mbp/s - then, in May it steadily dropped to just under 2Mbp/s. After a visit from OR, and a restart of everything, it went back to 13Mbp/s, and in on the decline again. Today, it's 7.3Mbp/s.

We logged the ticket with Plus Net and after running checks and being told that there was a fault, and having OR out, apparently there isn't a fault, it's just the profile - so the profile was reset (again) and when I asked what the actual issue is, I have been told that for where we live, the maximum speed we should be able to get for FTTC is 1Mbp/s.....ONE!

So, having checked this out, the BTWS site says just that - 1Mbp/s for FTTC for our phone number.

Is this a database issue on their site? When I check on the BTWS availability checker for our current postcode, and our old one, it says FTTC is not available.

Does anyone know what is going on here, why are we being told by BTWS that FTTC isn't available for us, and despite having it at home, and why on checking via phone number, postcode and address I get different answers about what I can get, and how fast it should be?

Any advice on this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Better off on dialup
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jun-14 21:38:44
Print Post

Re: Decreasing FTTC Speed

[re: agriffiths73] [link to this post]

How far is the cabinet from the property...that is the key to this, if over 1500 metres then your speeds would not be surprising and the BT Wholesale estimates may be on the low side sometimes.

In short the only way to really know is to run the line and see what happens

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Terranova
(member) Sat 21-Jun-14 09:21:03
Print Post

[re: agriffiths73] [link to this post]

Your not the only one to see this happen, I'm with Plusnet as well, When i joined them back in March my line estimate was 67Mb the same was with the BTW availability checker, I Synced at 65Mb when the service was up and running so more than happy, however i recently developed a fault and upon looking at getting it fixed I saw that my estimate for the line no longer had anything associated for it.

when i asked about it i was told that BTW system hadn't updated when the profiles and sync dropped due to the fault and would appear again once that was sorted out, when it did appear again the estimate had dropped by more than half to it's current 29Mb, I checked the Availability checker and it too had the estimate down to 29Mb of course i queried this but got no where Plusnet said they didn't know why it had been reduced when i asked them if they could get the answer from BTW / BTO they went quiet, despite asking numerous times i sill have no answer why it's been dropped so much, i'm 430m from the cab I know that because the engineers that came to find the fault have told me as such.

The fault is fixed just waiting for DLM to raise the sync and profiles back up, but estimate is still at 29Mb, the cab hasn't moved It's still where it's always been the line is rock solid after getting the fault fixed and was up until the fault so i see no reason why the Estimate has been dropped so much.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Jun-14 11:38:08
Print Post

[re: Terranova] [link to this post]

Nowhere in your post have you said what your current speed is, only the estimate, which makes it hard to work out what your problem is.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Jun-14 17:09:09
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

nvm

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Status (Est)

Connection Speed 79999 Kbps 19999 Kbps

Edited by Seansmit17 (Sat 21-Jun-14 22:11:31)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Jun-14 20:39:08
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

I don't know what nvm means in this context, but thank you for editing your post smile

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sat 21-Jun-14 22:14:03)

Print Thread

Jump to