General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User djawol
(newbie) Tue 24-Jun-14 10:05:29
Print Post

FTTC available, how soon before FTTP?

[link to this post]

I guess this could be a "how long is a piece of string" question. I was wondering for people who are on an exchange that was marked as a FTTC/P rollout which is now live, how long after the initial availability of FTTC was it before the FTTP offering was active?

I moved to a new development back in October having been on 80Mb FTTC and ended up with only 1.6Mb ADSL available even though I was about 2 miles from the exchange . My line length is around 4 miles. The SuperFast Where and When page estimated June 2014 and the Wholesale Checker was updated today to show FTTC is now available and I can go through the order with my ISP.

Rather than shoot myself in the foot I was wondering whether to wait and see if FTTP appears on the list to order instead of having two Openreach appointments and probable additional costs or whether the ones marked on the coming soon PDF as FTTC/P are still definitely getting both options?

The development is all new from around a year ago with underground ducting etc. The Openreach cabinet is approx 400 metres away and the nearest BT access cover in the pavement is about 60 metres from the house.

Thanks
Standard User Realalemadrid
(newbie) Tue 24-Jun-14 10:36:59
Print Post

Re: FTTC available, how soon before FTTP?

[re: djawol] [link to this post]

If I were you I would get FTTC ordered because you don't get the choice. Some cabinets will be enabled for FTTC and lines supplied from other cabinets will be allocated FTTP. it's one or the other, not both. There is FTTPoD which is available in limited areas where a cabinet is FTTC enabled but this is VERY expensive.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Tue 24-Jun-14 10:38:03)

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Tue 24-Jun-14 10:44:51
Print Post

[re: djawol] [link to this post]

Areas that get FTTC don't get FTTP unless you go down the expensive FTTPoD route. The converse also applies, if the area gets FTTP it doesn't get FTTC.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User djawol
(newbie) Tue 24-Jun-14 10:59:12
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Thank you both for the quick responses. I wasn't aware that was the case so have got on with the order now. Looking forward to being able to use two devices at the same time again...

Cheers
  Print Thread

Jump to