General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User danielmec
(newbie) Tue 24-Jun-14 13:11:42
Print Post

Ammanford exchange overlooked?

[link to this post]

I finally got an email from BTOpenReach claiming
"Subject: Superfast Fibre Broadband Update: Your local exchange has been added to our rollout plans"

Can you imagine how excited I was to read:

"We're really pleased to let you know that your local exchange, {ExchangeName}, has been added to our rollout plans."

Well that might be good news for {ExchangeName}, but not so good for Ammanford.

Following the links, Ammanford (SWADW) still shows as Under Evaluation. So why send me mail?

Pleasingly the adjacent (but fewer homes, businesses and less densely located) Amman Valley (SWAVY) is marked on the Future Exchanges list, as FTTC/P, available Calendar Year 2014. Parts of the SWAVY are in the adjacent county, and I suspect may have some more not-spots, good news for family...

I wonder if something has something gone wrong with the BT mailer, or if their docs are just out of sync.
Standard User fiddler
(member) Tue 24-Jun-14 20:18:00
Print Post

Re: Ammanford exchange overlooked?

[re: danielmec] [link to this post]

It's all a con.

Have asked SuperfastCymru for rationale for rollout and got a load of waffle in return.

Regards,

Rob
Standard User tialaramex
(learned) Wed 25-Jun-14 09:41:12
Print Post

[re: danielmec] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielmec:
I finally got an email from BTOpenReach claiming
"Subject: Superfast Fibre Broadband Update: Your local exchange has been added to our rollout plans"

Can you imagine how excited I was to read:

"We're really pleased to let you know that your local exchange, {ExchangeName}, has been added to our rollout plans."

Well that might be good news for {ExchangeName}, but not so good for Ammanford.

Following the links, Ammanford (SWADW) still shows as Under Evaluation. So why send me mail?

Pleasingly the adjacent (but fewer homes, businesses and less densely located) Amman Valley (SWAVY) is marked on the Future Exchanges list, as FTTC/P, available Calendar Year 2014. Parts of the SWAVY are in the adjacent county, and I suspect may have some more not-spots, good news for family...

I wonder if something has something gone wrong with the BT mailer, or if their docs are just out of sync.

Do you remember mail merge software? Printing out a hundred letters to your customers from a database on your Amstrad PCW without having to manually change the details in each one?

The {ExchangeName} is a mail merge tag. So what was supposed to happen was that the relevant customer's exchange name would be included in the email. But they messed up (to err is human). Maybe they spelled the tag wrong (e.g. perhaps you have to write {Exchange} or {$ExchangeName} or something) and perhaps they just forgot to press a button to say they wanted the mail merge feature. Either way, lots of these amusingly erroneous emails went out, and caused several threads here. But they'll send new ones with the right details filled out, and by now you've probably got one of those.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User danielmec
(newbie) Wed 25-Jun-14 13:33:33
Print Post

[re: tialaramex] [link to this post]

I remember that mailmerge pre-PCW, from my BBC-B days at school!!

I've got two follow-on mails, one at 17:27 yesterday starting:

"24 June 2014

We have been made aware that some people have received an incomplete version of this email - please accept our apologies and find below an updated version."

Ammanford was then correctly filled in from their merge/SQL, and I was happy, but still couldn't find confirmation on their lists.

Then at 12:55 today:

25 June 2014

Dear xxxx,

We had a technical problem yesterday whilst using a new email system. The issue
led to a number of people receiving inaccurate information about fibre.  Please
ignore any emails you have received from Openreach in the past 24 hours and
accept our apologies for the confusion this might have caused.

Regards,

Openreach Marketing

And now I'm back unhappy frown It seems I learned nothing from the false BT dawns whilst waiting to migrate from ISDN to ADSL. It'll happen when it happens. (Well I will learn something, never arrange for your ISP to enable the service the same day as BT are due to provision the line. BT left their database open, despite the job being complete by 0825, and so at 1130 Eclipse were told the line wasn't suitable for ADSL and I regressed from ISDN to a single voice/v90 dialup for three and a half weeks waiting for Eclipse to get their next chance to try again).
  Print Thread

Jump to