General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User keyholder
(newbie) Fri 27-Jun-14 19:32:38
Print Post

Various speeds showing on bt wholesale address checker.

[link to this post]

HI folks..

Anyone have any idea on why 5 doors down from me are able to get 60Mb /17Mb yet they are hooked up to the same pole and cabinet as i am ?

In essence they are actually further away from the cabinet than i am?

The house next door to them who is also hooked up to the same pole and cabinet, shows only a 37mb/7mb connection is available ?

Something dont seem right?

The cabinet can recieve bt's 80/20 no probs.
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(member) Sat 28-Jun-14 10:55:19
Print Post

Re: Various speeds showing on bt wholesale address checker.

[re: keyholder] [link to this post]

Hi,

Has anyone actually signed up for fibre or are all the info above taken from the wholesale checker?.

You don't mention your speeds.

You say the cabinet can recieve bt's 80/20 no problem, what does that mean?, all cabs offer 80/20 you just have to be close enough to the cab to be able to get those speeds.
How far away from the cabinet are you?
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 28-Jun-14 11:25:22
Print Post

Here's some real world stuff. My neighbour gets 76/20 and on my two fibre lines one does 51/18(used to be 72/20) and the other 75/20 and all come from the same pole.

The Openreach engineer's explanation for the difference in speed is that the slower line is probably routed along the main road and down from the top of my road completely ignoring the fact it used to sync at about the same speed as the other which sort of blows his theory out of the water somewhat. His suggestion would make the line length about 1.2km

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keyholder
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 20:26:51
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

i get 37 down 7 up,

Yet the neighbour whos also hooked upto the same pole can get 60mb down

approx 100 - 150 meters from my cabinet.
Standard User keyholder
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 20:42:16
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
Here's some real world stuff. My neighbour gets 76/20 and on my two fibre lines one does 51/18(used to be 72/20) and the other 75/20 and all come from the same pole.

The Openreach engineer's explanation for the difference in speed is that the slower line is probably routed along the main road and down from the top of my road completely ignoring the fact it used to sync at about the same speed as the other which sort of blows his theory out of the water somewhat. His suggestion would make the line length about 1.2km

Who is your isp if i may ask, ive just joined with zen And i want more upload so im thinking of getting another line put in., although some high latency spikes ( no fault of zens network - mainly BT/OR ) everything is ok and with even not being half the speed of my old VM conection its 100% more USEABLE than the Vm conneciton ever was.

I can finally game and use the net at night when im at home.

yeah theres something odd about the whole line setup thing, Somelines more degraded than others maybe ?? Have them lines ever been replaced at all? I dont think mine ever has been replaced. I couldnt see openreach digging up more pavement/ road up for fun when they already have ducting there in the first place for phonelines so as u say it kinda makes the engineers comment seem kinda pointless.

Have you load balanced your 2 lines at home or do you treat them as 2 seperate connections.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 04-Jul-14 20:18:46
Print Post

The slower line (it wasn't always slow BTW, used to sync at 72 Mbps) is Sky and the other line is from Spitfire which is my work line.

I believe all the cables in my area were replaced about 15 years ago because they were old lead-sheathed cables. There was a rearrangement last year to move around 60 lines in the next road to the PCP that covers my area to improve fibre speeds. Apparently they were only getting between 10 and 20 Mbps.

As for my 2 lines, I treat the as separate connections because the Spitfire line has a usage limit.
  Print Thread

Jump to