General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aavid60
(regular) Sat 28-Jun-14 14:06:33
Print Post

Crosstalk

[link to this post]

Is it normal to loose 20 meg due to crosstalk. I have now been on fibre for just over 18 months. When first connected speed was 79 meg down and 20 meg up
which I had for some months. I was told that I was the first to get fibre on the our cab. Over the last 15 months or so my speed has dropped and is now 56 down and 15 up and is still going slowly down. I am with PlusNet and they tell me that the BT checker says my max speed is 56 meg down and there is nothing they can do about the speed loss even though I was getting the full 80/20 to start with. Line checks come back with no faults.

Edited by aavid60 (Sat 28-Jun-14 14:15:01)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Jun-14 15:07:59
Print Post

Re: Crosstalk

[re: aavid60] [link to this post]

The BT Wholesale checker should give a range of speeds, what are the speeds it shows?

20 Meg is possible through crosstalk, unlike ADSL2+ crosstalk was always going to be a larger issue particularly in cable bundles where almost everyone has ordered the service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User aavid60
(regular) Sat 28-Jun-14 15:25:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron for your answer. The BT checker tells me on a clean line speed. High 74.5 Low 56 .
I have checked with my neighbours who also have fibre and they are getting speed in the low 70,s

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Jun-14 15:31:29
Print Post

Luck of how the lines sit in the cable bundles, i.e. your line might be in the middle of four lines with VDSL2 and theirs on the outer edge of the same 100pr bundle maybe.

We have seen others very close to cabinets see even larger drops, but they were close enough to still retain the full speed, i.e. might have managed 100 Meg before if the line had been uncapped.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User aavid60
(regular) Sat 28-Jun-14 15:42:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again for your answer. It would appear then I will have to put up with it for the time being and hope that BT will start using vectoring in the very near future.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 28-Jun-14 18:26:01
Print Post

I think vectoring is likely its a matter of when in my opinion.

Its too much in the open about crosstalk, dispite locking of the modems etc. they havent kept it hush hush, and dropping speeds have now even reached watchdog.

Standard User aavid60
(regular) Sat 28-Jun-14 19:04:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I have been using my own modem from the start and can see the stats
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jun-14 20:09:01
Print Post

Yep. From 98Mb maximum as 1st connection on the cabinet to 71Mb here.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Jun-14 20:17:07
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I was first on my cab also.

109Mb max down to 98mb so far. So not as big a drop. My SNR was 15 up until a few days ago when it dropped to 11.5 as well as the max attainable speed dropping from 103 to 98mb in one day, Don't think thats down to crosstalk tho

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Status (Est)

Connection Speed 79999 Kbps 19999 Kbps
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jun-14 20:27:08
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Yep. From 98Mb maximum as 1st connection on the cabinet to 71Mb here.
I think mine originally had an attainable of 91. After twelve months It had stabilised at 65 with interleaving. Then the modem firmware update a few months ago gave it a boost back to 69 and got rid of interleaving. It's been steady as a rock since then.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to