General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Jun-14 23:37:32
Print Post

Original (Mk1) v Mk2 VDSL2 filter plate

[link to this post]

My VDSL2 filter is a Mark1. Is there any evidence that the Mark 2 is better, and in what way please? I'm wondering if it's worth replacing mine with one off eBay.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Jun-14 23:55:49
Print Post

Re: Original (Mk1) v Mk2 VDSL2 filter plate

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
My VDSL2 filter is a Mark1. Is there any evidence that the Mark 2 is better, and in what way please? I'm wondering if it's worth replacing mine with one off eBay.

I changed mine a few months ago, and gave my Mk1 (fitted by openreach in 2012) to a friend who had a wires only install.

I've seen zero difference, using DSLstats.

Obviously your mileage may vary smile

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 29-Jun-14 01:12:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

same, no improvement, but also didnt make things worse either, so I kept it in place.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Colin_London
(member) Mon 30-Jun-14 01:16:35
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The Mk2 has, I have read elsewhere, an additional RF filter in it. So if your line doesn't suffer from RF interference you shouldn't get any improvement.

Does anyone know if battery faults can damage faceplates? Openreach have just fixed such a fault underground on my line and I am no longer getting dropped connections when the phone rings!

The loud bursts of crackling noise I was getting have dramatically reduced but there are still a few intermittent and infrequent quiet ones audible on a quiet line test. Was wondering whether they could just be down to the faceplate having been damaged by the previous voltage spikes.

Openreach believe any residual problems are 'in my home' and want to visit, with the risk of the callout charge. If the residual problem can be fixed with a new faceplate that is the way i'd rather go!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Jun-14 01:19:58
Print Post

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

You should be doing the quiet line test with the VDSL2 filter plate removed. You should also use a corded phone, if you aren't already.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Jun-14 01:22:04
Print Post

Thanks to the three of you so far smile. It doesn't seem to be a "Must have".

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Mon 30-Jun-14 07:26:25
Print Post

Morning RobertoS

I had expected my simple NTE, no filters, to be replaced when I recently upgraded to 40/10 VDSL with EE.

It wasn't.

So when I installed the Brightbox 2, I simply swapped the existing local ADSL Splitter with the supplied VDSL Splitter, on the simple Phone Extension Cord, from the Wall Socket; back down under carpet, through walls to that NTE.

The Download Speeds using TBB are about 36 to 37 Mbps, Upload about 9 Mbps.

--------------------

Regarding Attenuation, the Line Length to the Exchange is 1,286 Metres (BRAS) and attenuation about -23 db Download, about 11 db Upload.

Now on VDSL about 300 Metres, -11 db Download and 14 db Upload.
Standard User Computerman142
(regular) Mon 30-Jun-14 08:57:35
Print Post

When I replaced my mk1 to an mk2 my speed did improve by 1mb and I have also noticed the speed doesn't go up and down like it did with the mk1, it stays at a constant 25Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC - Currently getting 25Mbps on an interleaved FTTC line, was 26.5Mbps.
  Print Thread

Jump to