General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 69bertie
(newbie) Sun 29-Jun-14 15:50:04
Print Post

Is the expected uplift speed written in stone

[link to this post]

I am on the Wickenby exchange (Lincolnshire), cabinet 2.

OK, all of us in the village (sleepy Newtoft) get pretty lousy speeds as it is (except those lucky people that have managed to get a wireless connection) but given that my maximum speeds of late have been around the 1.47mb mark (although BT's own speedtest had me at 0.43 today), am I correct in multiplying the uplift speed by my current speed to get the speed that I can expect when fibre does finally arrive?

If so, 8 mb/s doesn't sound exactly earth shattering.

I see that they also say coming soon with the end of June showing but going to roadworks.org see shows no roadworks scheduled in the immediate area at all. I take it that installing a new cabinet next to the road would entail notifiable roadworks. Maybe the schedule date is pie in the sky
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Jun-14 15:58:59
Print Post

Re: Is the expected uplift speed written in stone

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

The speed you will get from FTTC depends on many factors. Mainly your distance to the cab and how long your line is to get to the cab as the line may take a longer route.

up to 400m you should get the full 80mb, 400m+ it will drop off quickly.

see:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....

The info in the chart there is very conservative tho.

TalkTalk 80Mb
Current Line Status (Est)

Connection Speed 79999 Kbps 19999 Kbps
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jun-14 16:16:04
Print Post

The uplift doesn't really mean anything, ignore it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 29-Jun-14 16:23:27
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I don't know about now, but in the early days it seemed to be fairly accurate - used the way the OP thinks.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Jun-14 18:00:04
Print Post

If you want to email or PM your postcode and address then can look up an estimate for you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sun 29-Jun-14 18:14:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If you've ever seen the PowerPoint presentation about the spreadsheet back in 2011(?) it said to ignore the uplift column. Looking back at what it said for some of the local not-spots in my area it lists an uplift of 37 when in reality it is around 130.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sun 29-Jun-14 20:06:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

as far as I have seen, the 'uplift' figure is on a per cabinet basis.
thus, likely, more to do with the amount they have to attenuate vdsl signals to avoid disruption on existing adsl lines.
Standard User 69bertie
(newbie) Mon 30-Jun-14 05:39:24
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

Thanks for that info. It would be great if it is from the cabinet as I'm less than 200 mtrs from the existing. Just the wait...............
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Mon 30-Jun-14 07:11:53
Print Post

If you have not already done so, I suggest that you do Quiet Line Tests on your Phone Line, to ensure that it is in a good state for the upgrade, particularly the PCP Cabinet to House length; and of course within the house.

Also try to establish the line length from your PCP to your house more accurately, using the BRAS Test-

http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

-------------------

As regards that distance, my PCP is about 50 Metres from my house; BUT about 250 Metres by its known physical routing.

The associated FTTC Cabinet is about 15 M from my house; BUT is linked to the PCP by about 50 Metres from the PCP, thus in total, my VDSL routing has increased to about 300 Metres!

The 250 Metres because the original phone wiring heads about 125 M Eastwards along the street, to a known small surface junction box, then back to my house.

The estate was one of the first to be fully wired for phones, back in 1967.

Even the 2014-installed FTTC cabinet has a quirk - the links to the PCP double back towards the Exchange, beside the fibre, before heading towards the old PCP cabinet, thus adding about 15 M of otherwise unnecessary wiring.

And the FTTC would have been more readily installed beside the PCP, there being plenty of room, power supplies, recessed etc; yet is actually situated where it partially obscures a road junction, at a school double crossing!
Standard User 69bertie
(newbie) Tue 01-Jul-14 19:56:49
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Exchange: WICKENBY (SLWKY)
BT Recorded Line Length to Exchange (m): 7270

I have this gut feeling that the cabinet just around the corner isn't what you mean when you mention a PCP cabinet (given the line length). Probably it's something like a distribution cabinet. Is there any way of finding out where cabinet 2 is sited?

I've already done a quiet line test and from the master box outwards it is very quiet as it should be given the line, in it's entire length back to the exchange (the village had no spare lines), was only installed a couple of years ago.

Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to