General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User slt1976
(newbie) Sun 29-Jun-14 21:05:18
Print Post

Northampton BDUK - DSLAM's in but noting from BT Openreach

[link to this post]

Hi

I live in a Northampton village (Hartwell - NN7). we are served by the ROADE exchange. In the last month 2 new FTTC DSLAM's have been installed (& are now powered as I caught one of the power network guys whilst he was doing the job and asked what he was up too).

Superfastnorthamptonshire (our local BDUK site) seem very reluctant to confirm anything about my village. There website is very up to date and added numerous new villages etc on the 26th June. Despite chasing them they will not confirm what is going on in our village.

The BT fibre site still shows the status as NC for my phone number (& others all around the village so it is not unique to me). All seems very odd as I assume they would not be going to the trouble of installing DSLAM's (& rather large ones I may add) if surveys were not done and showing clear ducts etc. Is there anyone on here that can get any info from BT OR?

Seems like a wasted PR opportunity as BDUK money seems to be getting the job done quicker than expected but the end users are not being told what's going on and when it is coming.

Several of us in the village are waiting with baited breath and will throw a party when we say goodbye to 1mb BB. If anyone can shed any light on why BT OR have done all this work but not added it to any of the lists for fibre (Planned, Under Study etc) I would be eternally grateful,
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jun-14 23:34:23
Print Post

Re: Northampton BDUK - DSLAM's in but noting from BT Openrea

[re: slt1976] [link to this post]

Openreach work ahead of the BDUK rollout plans, so areas will start to see cabs installed before they are announced, normally the resulting BDUK project announces the service as live, so not much to worry about all will be updated in time.

If you use the BT wholesale adsl checker use either telephone number if with BT or address if on sky/tt as it will eventually give a estimate for the service and update when it goes live.

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Mon 30-Jun-14 13:57:03
Print Post

[re: slt1976] [link to this post]

I'm in a similar situation to you. A cabinet in my (Potterspury) was 'finished' last week, ahead of when it was added to the updated list on the Superfast Northampton blog.
The blog states that there are 2 cabinets in the roll out for my exchange (Yardley Gobion). I did a little recon on Friday after work and noted that that exchange serves 5 cabinets (at least), 3 in Yardley Gobion and 2 in Potterspury. My cabinet, number 4, is the furthest away and non of the other cabinets have a shiny new FTTC DSLAM's stuck next to them. Checking roadworks.org, it shows that cabinet 2 has plans for an upgrade in July. So it would seem (I hope) that only cabinets 4 and 2 will be fibre enabled. Bear in mind that my exchange serves 1145 residences and a handful of businesses. The DSLAM installed in Potterspury is a '288' I believe!
And to thicken the plot further, as far as I know, Yardley Gobion isn't fibre enabled yet.

It would be good for everyone if BDUK published details included expected timescales. I'm sure that would stop a lot of wasted energy and hope on the part of the consumer.

Paul

ISP: Coms.... Soon to be Xilo
Service: Coms Complete DSL100
Exchange: SMYG
MSAN: Broadcom
Router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:38.5dB - 40dB
SNRM: 3.4dB (manually set)
Current sync: 9786kbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jun-14 14:01:20
Print Post

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

A ruling by ASA over the way BT/Openreach had lots of dates in the checker but kept shifting them may have led in part to the if we don't say and are behind schedule at least people will not moan so much scenario.

For every person who knows an estimated date is ESTIMATED, there is another who takes it as an absolute fact these days.

Better information would be great, but not sure the projects are geared up for the subsequent level of questions that would follow.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Mon 30-Jun-14 15:42:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Agreed.

It's a shame common sense is in such short supply these days!

Paul

ISP: Coms.... Soon to be Xilo
Service: Coms Complete DSL100
Exchange: SMYG
MSAN: Broadcom
Router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:38.5dB - 40dB
SNRM: 3.4dB (manually set)
Current sync: 9786kbps
Standard User paulcdb
(learned) Thu 03-Jul-14 19:10:15
Print Post

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

This is the frustrating part. I've been waiting for it to arrive here and it was initially dated as April 2014 but before that date it simply changed to Calender Year 2014 and it's been like that ever since.

So now it's just spam the checker waiting for news. At least if there was a 2 month delay it'd be better to post a new expected date rather than just Soon™!

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to