General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User burble
(newbie) Sun 29-Jun-14 21:42:44
Print Post

BDUK have condemed us to the slow lane!

[link to this post]

Well following my thread 'They have nicked our street cabinet' it seems my worst fears where way optimistic. BT now show FTTC as available, now I'm LLU with TalkTalk and their line checker is (seemingly) perminatly unavailable so have used BT's postcode/house number checker, and this estimates a speed of 4 to 6 Mb, as the line lenght is around 1.25mile (2km), so thats no 'Infinaty' but 'unlimited faster broadband' but still at a premium of £10/month.
I've done a few rough calcs and it would seem the best speeds at one end of village might be 38Mb but the average overall will struggle to exceed 10Mb. Still I suppose it ticks the box as over 2Mb so meeting gov standards, what a joke.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 29-Jun-14 22:04:36
Print Post

Re: BDUK have condemed us to the slow lane!

[re: burble] [link to this post]

What price will that be, and the landline?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User burble
(newbie) Sun 29-Jun-14 22:23:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What price will that be, and the landline?

Take a BT package and add £10, I'm on a different pute so not in history but IIRC basic line rental with weekend calls and 'faster' broadband was about £36/month, to continue on TalkTalk it will be same add £10/month to whatever package you have.
Our local BDUK map shows us as expecting to get 24Mb, I could accept being a bit down on that and paying £10/month extra, but I see no point in paying £10/month extra for an extra 3 or 4 Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 29-Jun-14 22:36:21
Print Post

Plusnet would be £31.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 29-Jun-14 23:29:47)

Standard User burble
(newbie) Sun 29-Jun-14 22:53:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Plusnet would be £30.

Yes looking at them would be £31, by the time I've added £10 to my TalkTalk package this would come out about same.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 29-Jun-14 23:30:17
Print Post

Yep, I've corrected my addition.

Standard User burble
(newbie) Mon 30-Jun-14 10:13:28
Print Post

Well I've had a reply from the council broadband resources manager, and interesting reading it makes.
Now consider I have a map from the project team at council which lists our house as being one that will receive 'superfast broadband' which they rate at 24Mb or better, being at the edge of the area intended for 'superfast broadband' I can accept that it might be a bit marginal so may be a bit down, the properties beyond our house are listed as receiving less than 24Mb but greater than 2Mb.
I expressed my concerns that the average household in our village might only get 10Mb and not greater than 24Mb as per the map, the 'broadband resources manager' accepted my argument that this might be correct, although they are awaiting feedback, and that 10Mb is considered acceptable.
If this is the general state of BDUK projects across the UK then some of the figures coming out which show people are not taking up FTTC now start to make sense, I will certainly not bother just to get 4 to 6Mb.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jun-14 10:19:43
Print Post

What village is this, we can plot independent of the projects the various speeds at different postcodes.

It is worth remembering that NONE of the projects have promised 100% superfast yet. Which figures are you referring to on the take-up?

If the average speed for your cabinet is very low and offers no benefit over ADSL/ADSL2+ thus there will be almost no take-up the cold logical thing would be to decommission it and relocate it to a better location in another village.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burble
(newbie) Mon 30-Jun-14 10:38:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Have emailed you details
  Print Thread

Jump to