General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:14:18
Print Post

Openreach says I'm direct, engineer says FTTC cabinet

[link to this post]

Hello All

I'm trying to get FTTC to my home in London SE24: a house with three flats. BT's availability checker says that FTTC service is available with FTTC-A range of 47.8-65 Mbit/sec for all the flats in my postcode, including a mis-addressed version of my flat ("Lower Floor" not "Basement"). They all same the same cabinet and Brixton exchange. But it says they can't deliver it to "Basement" because they say it's directly connected to the exchange.

I'm trying to buy the service from Zen (who I've used for many years in previous flats for ADSL service, and I've been happy with the service and also the customer service), who tell me Openreach is telling them I'm direct to the exchange. However, the engineer who put it in (I got his mobile number, thankfully!) is categoric that I'm connected to a FTTC-enabled cabinet, number XX just like the availability checker says all these flats are. (It has a Fibre ad on it, too.) My house is about 500 m from the cabinet, which is about 1 km from the exchange.

Anybody else had this kind of trouble? How do we get Openreach to accept that maybe there's just and administrative databse error and the engineering is okay? Did you get it resolved?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Jonathan.

PS. Anybody know what the codes are in the availability checker? If you search by address, put in a house number and a postcode, you'll get a pulldown menu of the flats (or whatever) at that address. Looking at the HTML source you'll see they have codes like "CL" and "WR" and another like A00027123456. Anybody know what these mean? (My guess is the first is a code for the exchange, the second a code for the line ... but anybody know definitively? Or what the patterns mean for the A-numbers?)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:19:02
Print Post

Re: Openreach says I'm direct, engineer says FTTC cabinet

[re: jonathanjo] [link to this post]

How long is it since your phone line was connected?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:19:38
Print Post

Just moved in? In which case databases may be out of sync for a few days.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:33:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Roberto ... engineer came 27 June, reconnected a chopped wire into my flat, db changed from "don't know" to FTTC unavailable.
Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:38:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron, I believe the DB was updated with my number and so on, but they didn't fix its routing. Is that possible? Jonathan.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:39:11
Print Post

Well within the you can expect things to sort themselves out period then.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Icaras
(regular) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:41:23
Print Post

Was the person a contractor? If so it's possible the routing wasn't updated.

As for your question about the codes, they are databases under which BT group the exchanges. CL will be Central London. So as a made up example, if an exchange as called Rock Park and was in the middle of London it's full exchange code may be CLROC

Edited by Icaras (Mon 30-Jun-14 18:47:34)

Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:48:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr Saffron ... indeed I'd have said so too. The only problem is that Openreach is refusing the accept the order from Zen for FTTC service and are apparently being intransigent about it. Zen therefore is offering me ADSL, which I'd rather not order. Meanwhile, Virgin is offering FTTC service which neighbours say is good.

Edited by jonathanjo (Mon 30-Jun-14 18:49:59)

Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:49:33
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Hi Icarus -- thanks, makes sense. My exchange is WRBRIX. Now trying to make sense of the A-numbers.
Standard User Icaras
(regular) Mon 30-Jun-14 18:50:57
Print Post

Virgin is HFC, not FTTC. It doesn't work over a BT telephone line, they have their own infrastructure.

I'd leave it for a week and then query it with Zen again if you still don't have any joy then they need to contact Openreach directly and get this looked into.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to