General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Tue 01-Jul-14 14:05:47
Print Post

Re: Openreach says I'm direct, engineer says FTTC cabinet

[re: mickbzen] [link to this post]

Some progress ... I emailed Zen yesterday saying I simply didn't accept Openreach's statement that the engineer was wrong; the engineer didn't mind being quoted so I gave them his details. Zen seems much more interested now: thanks Andy, Matt and now Mick too.

The Address Checker changed in the past hour or two for my flat, now shows FTTC available for all flats at my address ... but phone number checker not yet changed. Also still have a spurious extra flat.

But clearly things are changing.

So here's hoping.

Jonathan.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Jul-14 19:45:47
Print Post

[re: jonathanjo] [link to this post]

Just replied to your PM to say this appeared fixed, only to then see the result on the forum, anyway you may be interested in the information I sent.

Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Tue 01-Jul-14 20:22:10
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Hi R0nski

Many thanks for that! Yes it does seem as though things are progressing.

Zen the ISP has said they've resubmitted the FTTC request and we'll see what happens next.

Fingers crossed the gods of the databases will now allow it.

Jonathan.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Wed 02-Jul-14 12:41:35
Print Post

Just an update:

about midday today the Availability Checker changed for my phone number from FTTC unavailable to available, with numbers 80/74.6 down and 20/19.9 up.

My address lookup for my flat changed yesterday, and shows 65/47.8 down 19.2/12.7 up.

... looks like things are moving in the right direction.

Jonathan.
Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 11:33:15
Print Post

Update: ... Openreach engineer scheduled for the 10th July AM slot, they must believe it's possible! Jonathan.

Edited by jonathanjo (Thu 03-Jul-14 11:33:39)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Jul-14 22:56:00
Print Post

Good stuff, just a week to go.

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Jul-14 17:22:31
Print Post

Did it happen?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Sun 13-Jul-14 15:15:36
Print Post

In brief, yippee it works!

Openreach engineer came Thursday morning exactly as promised, at 10.30 ("third job today"); a subcontractor from Kelly. He was carrying a BT modem and said he'd already been to the cabinet.

He changed the faceplate from a single phone-socket type to a phone-socket and modem-socket type, plugged in the modem and came and went to the cabinet, as there seemed to be some problem when he was at the patching cabinet (the PCP?) He resolved that by getting "them" (BT Wholesale?) to allocate a new port (on the DSLAM?) which he said would take 20 minutes or so to move the information across. I was happy enough to call that done when we had DSL lit, as he didn't claim he'd be any help getting my router working.

I'd bought and mostly-configured a Cisco 867VAE-k9 router, and connected my V-ADSL line directly to that, and it was clear we weren't getting PPP responses from the far end, for about 20 minutes or so, then it went live. I've kept the modem so if there is a fault in the future we can swap it back in for comparisons.

So we have a good result in the end.

What I learned was 1) get educated about the parts of the puzzle (for which I owe this website many thanks) so you can have a sensible conversation when things go wrong, 2) find out the neighbours' situations so you know what the local lie of the land is, 3) Ply your engineer with coffee and biscuits and a friendly face so you can find out what your exact details are.

I didn't in fact have coffee and biscuits for my engineers, but next time definitely will. If I hadn't by chance got the mobile number of the original Openreach engineer who put the phone in my flat, I wouldn't have been able to rebut the database's records that my line was direct to the exchange.

My ISP, Zen, was initially rather unhelpful -- and frankly I was fuming after one particular phone call with them -- but then became much more helpful when I complained. There is a definite weakness about getting the addresses correct in the original order and getting that fixed at BT; for which Zen could definitely do with improving. Those problems cost a few weeks of uncertainty and delay which might possibly have been avoided. Also, this is a long-term customer of an ISP trying to stick with it and upgrade service having moved to a house in which Virgin is *already working*, nonetheless it felt like I was basically an irritation to the ISP and its dealings with BT, rather than a valued customer trying to stick with a good supplier. I'd have hoped for better.

Thanks to this forum for helping me understand the process and how long things take and what one can do about the different problems; also thanks to Caffin8ed of this forum for her helpful post on Cisco configs.

All best,
Jonathan.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 13-Jul-14 15:27:55
Print Post

Result!

Great as well, isn't it smile !

Re the first two words in your post, I'm glad that was the shortened version tongue smile wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Sun 13-Jul-14 15:35:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, well I only put the longer one to cheer up those who might find similar problems in the future! This website was really very useful indeed in understanding the process: of course it's that much harder the first time, would always be easy the second time! Cheers, Jonathan.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to