General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xreyuk123
(learned) Tue 01-Jul-14 16:37:59
Print Post

80/20 to 40/20

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

I currently have an 80/20 product with Plusnet, and am currently synced at 46/12. The estimates for my line were somewhere between 34-47 down and 7-11 up. I went for 80/20 instead of 40/10 because when I signed up a month and a half ago, Plusnet only offered unlimited usage on their 80/20 product. Plusnet are now offering 40/20 with unlimited usage for £5p/m cheaper than what I'm currently paying.

At present, my line is is synced at 46Mbps down, with interleaving enabled. Interleaving is set at 909, INP is set at 3, and delay is set 8. Max attainable is 49.6Mbps

It is synced at 12Mbps up, with no DLM intervention whatsoever, max attainable is 12Mbps.

I use the internet mostly for browsing/email, downloading on usenet (mostly when I'm not in, set up via RSS), streaming to and from the house, and PS4 gaming (in order of most often).

My question is: Would I be better off reducing my speeds to 40Mbps and potentially having interleaving disabled (so better pings etc), or am I better off keeping the higher sync speeds for my usage? I'm happy to pay the extra £5pm if I keep a better level of performance (plus I got the introductory £9.99 for 6 months on my current deal anyway, so total difference over contract is £30)

I realise no one can say for certain whether reducing my speeds to 40Mbps will take away interleaving. I've asked Plusnet, and they've said that whilst chaining to the 40/20 product will not reset DLM, it will re-enter me into the initial training period, which will make DLM more active again.

P.S I'm planning to wait a month or so anyway to see if DLM clears up my current connection, as my connection was messed with a fair bit in the first few days.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Jul-14 16:39:41
Print Post

Re: 80/20 to 40/20

[re: xreyuk123] [link to this post]

Changing to 40/20 will change nothing about the interleave or anything else on the line. It is a change on Plusnet's system only.
Standard User xreyuk123
(learned) Tue 01-Jul-14 16:43:28
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

If my line is at a lower speed, will that not make it more stable, thus meaning DLM could intervene eventually and potentially lower interleaving/delay/INP?

The staff on their forums also said it would put me back into the 'training period' which I assume would be sticking me back on an open profile for the first 2 days like they did on the original install and letting DLM figure it out?

Edited by xreyuk123 (Tue 01-Jul-14 16:49:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Jul-14 17:08:52
Print Post

Changing to 40/20 will change nothing about the interleave or anything else on the line. It is a change on the Plusnet system only. It will not put you back into the training period.

To achieve what you want to do, you have to move to 40/10.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User xreyuk123
(learned) Tue 01-Jul-14 17:19:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks, Plusnet just explained that to me on their forums that the sync speeds wouldn't actually change.

Cheers.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Jul-14 17:22:21
Print Post

I don't think the DLM can be any more active than it already is. Putting you back in the training period would actually turn it off for 24 hours.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User xreyuk123
(learned) Tue 01-Jul-14 18:36:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Looking around, I can see that there are commands to limit the sync speed the HG612 is at.

Would it be possible to limit myself from say, 46Mbps to 42Mbps (or lower if required), leave it stable and eventually have DLM remove interleaving from my line?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Jul-14 19:00:55
Print Post

The only way would be to move to 40/10 as DLM wouldn't let you change the sync speed.
I suppose you could move to the Superstable profile, that might work.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Jul-14 20:41:25
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Changing to 40/20 will change nothing about the interleave or anything else on the line. It is a change on Plusnet's system only.

What about the BT Exchange? That's leave the 80/20 at the exchange while Plusnet using 40/20 is going to waste all the bandwidth from the exchange to the customer's end.

I know that BT Wholesale only offer 40/10 or 40/2. So, Plusnet are target more peoples to join them because of better upload on the 40/20 and cheaper.

Edited by adslmax (Tue 01-Jul-14 20:43:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Jul-14 20:56:02
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
What about the BT Exchange? That's leave the 80/20 at the exchange while Plusnet using 40/20 is going to waste all the bandwidth from the exchange to the customer's end.
Nope. I just came a cropper on that one as well, as I was hungry and not thinking straight.

On FTTC the sync is between the user and the cabinet. The Plusnet 40Mbps cap limits the amount of data sent from the Plusnet routers, all the way through the BT Cloud, and right up to the cabinet. No bandwidth is wasted, and that TCP/IP connection is digital not analogue. No sync speeds involved.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to