General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ShelleH
(newbie) Tue 01-Jul-14 17:33:52
Print Post

Torrington Exchange

[link to this post]

Hi, long time reader / lurker, first time poster here *waves*

I was wondering, is there a way to find out why an exchange might be delayed, or at least what the new ready date might be?

I am on cabinet 3 of the Torrington exchange. ( http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWTORR )

According to the information on Samknows, and on the 'Coming Soon' spreadsheet and pdf on the Openreach 'where and when' site, and on http://fttc-check.alc.im/search/EX388AR we were supposed to be getting FTTC in June.

Obviously, that date has now passed, and I was wondering if there was any way to get new information?

Checking https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ or https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html doesn't give anything at all, either on a telephone number or a postcode search; there is no mention of fibre for us.

The shiny new (well, dusty...) cabinet at the top of our hill has been in place for a while now, but there seems to be no activity.

Many thanks in advance for any help. smile
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Jul-14 19:14:00
Print Post

Re: Torrington Exchange

[re: ShelleH] [link to this post]

Rather than SamKnows, which rarely nowadays seems to know, try contacting Connecting Devon & Somerset who are the BDUK authority covering Torrington who maybe able to give to more information.
Standard User ShelleH
(newbie) Tue 01-Jul-14 19:38:48
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Thank you for the reply MCM, I shall follow your suggestion, and send them an email via the contact address on their site. smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Storm_Force
(learned) Fri 04-Jul-14 21:17:47
Print Post

Hi ShelleH

According to CDAS cab 3 will be live by October according to there updated spread sheet released on the 3rd July.
Btw I am Hatherleigh so not far from you fibre is here already but not for me yet on an exchange only line frown
Standard User ShelleH
(newbie) Fri 04-Jul-14 22:50:01
Print Post

[re: Storm_Force] [link to this post]

Thank you for posting the updated information Storm_Force. smile

I have an avid gamer, and anime fan, who will be pleased to hear that!
He has been incessantly complaining about how unfair it is, that they promised June... lol

You are indeed not far from here, if you are based in Hatherleigh.
I can't say that I envy your position re the direct to the exchange connection at all; that must have been quite upsetting to discover, to say the least.
Hopefully they find some way to resolve the situation for you, and others in your position.

At least I can tell my complaining son, "it could be much worse," after reading the woes caused by direct to exchange connections.

Thanks again. smile

Michelle
Standard User Miggle
(newbie) Sat 05-Jul-14 08:54:50
Print Post

I'm in Torrington - Cab 1.
While I've been eagerly following the BT teams as they've first been upgrading the old cabinets, then adding in the fttc cabinets beside them. They were at least 8 weeks ahead of schedule in landkey/swimbridge - and it looks like they're pretty much close to finished in Torrington.

The best actual guide as to how the work is progressing is actually roadworks.org.
Spot the boxes, at the top of school lane, and mill street next to the church.

There is only 1 single piece of work left to do - Which they haven't started yet Which is another cabinet near to the dentists in whites lane - which I would have noticed - as I live along there.

Works Start: 24 Jun
End: 30 Jun
Low impact, delays unlikely
Description : Build 1 precast chamber 1310mm x 610mm x 1265mm deep in Footway,Demolish 1 existing jointbox(s) or cabinet base(s),Install 58m of 1 way poly duct in Footway
Current status: Planned work about to start
Standard User ShelleH
(newbie) Sat 05-Jul-14 10:58:39
Print Post

[re: Miggle] [link to this post]

Hi Miggle,

Nice to see somebody else who might have a Cavalier attitude... [ Yes, bad joke I suppose, lol. ;) ]

Hopefully it won't be too long now then, if that is all that is remaining.
I usually pass the dentist each day, so will be keeping my eyes open for them working outside there now. smile

To the best of my knowledge, Cab 3 is the one next to the church at the top of Mill Street, so about 600 meters from me line length wise; and judging by the symbols on roadworks.org, that last little section might be what finally links them all up... Or at least I hope so. smile

Openreach replaced a lot of the copper wiring along Mill Street last year, as well as at least one of the poles near us (about 20 meters from me!), and that made a huge difference to our internet speeds at the time; due to the state of the previous wiring, we ended up with almost double our speed at the time, so with a little luck, we'll hopefully be ready to join the modern age properly when they switch on the fibre. smile
We jumped from a sync speed of 11 Mb to a sync speed close to 19 Mb!
I'm hoping we see another huge leap when they do switch us on. smile
Standard User Miggle
(newbie) Sat 05-Jul-14 11:40:18
Print Post

Yes I was very surprised when I moved here few months ago to find the Adsl speed was so good - and the town had ADSL2+ (up to 24Mb) rather than just ADSLmax (up to 8Mb).

Fingers crossed for getting close to 76Mb Fibre rate - as we're both so close to the cabinets. smile
Standard User ShelleH
(newbie) Sat 05-Jul-14 12:39:44
Print Post

[re: Miggle] [link to this post]

Yes, it is surprising that our sleepy little pimple on the back-end of nowhere got upgraded really... lol

I agree, with being close to the cabinets, we should get lucky with the fibre speeds. smile
My downloads are already okay, and my latency is quite good, I just hope that gets better with FTTC too. smile

And totally off topic really, but in my last post... since you are still quite new to the town... The cavalier comment was regarding http://www.torrington-cavaliers.co.uk/Bonfires those wonderful people. smile
Standard User Miggle
(newbie) Sat 05-Jul-14 16:25:18
Print Post

Ha yes looking forward to all that. On the Mayday festival I had the day off work, and was woken to a marching band walking past my window. I thought the whole thing was hilarious smile
To be honest I love this little place, it's quirky, and has tons of stuff on that I can take my daughter to.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to