General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_jrt
(newbie) Tue 01-Jul-14 22:47:12
Print Post

Brighton Kemptown Cabinet 64

[link to this post]

Hello all, first, some background.

I've been living at my current address (37 Providence Place) for just over 2 years - it's new build, and when I moved in I had to get BT to install phone lines as the landlord was too cheap to do so during construction.

When installed they were run from an existing subterranean junction box a few tens of metres south of the property. I get terrible DSL speeds, as do my neighbours. I was advised by an OpenReach engineer I happened to catch that the line was a long one and there was little I could do about it.

Then FTTC became a thing.

Problem is, I couldn't find out what cab I was on, and no-one would tell me. I tended to hear the line was direct back to the exchange, which properly stuffed me. When Openreach added the cabinet data earlier in the year however, I found some good news - I was on a cabinet after all - cabinet 64. The bad news was no FTTC, nor any plans to install it. I've gone hunting for the cabinet, and best I can tell it's some way away. Thing is, there's another cab at the other end of my road, probably 20 metres away.

...and the most irritating thing? Using the address checker I can now see that yes, all properties heading south are on cabinet 64 as well, but the very next property north of mine (35 PROVIDENCE PLACE, BRIGHTON, BN1 4GE) is on cabinet 66 - and gets FTTC frown I've checked with the e-Sussex project, pointing out how ridiculous it is to have a cabinet in central Brighton without FTTC, but they have no plans to sort it either.

So...

...is there anything I can do to get BT to switch my line to the cabinet that's actually a hundred metres or so closer to my home than my current one so I can get FTTC?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Jul-14 09:09:30
Print Post

Re: Brighton Kemptown Cabinet 64

[re: mr_jrt] [link to this post]

The majority of Brighton has Virgin Media as an option, so was left out of the BDUK projects while BT and VM fight for customers, i.e. there is commercial competition and little need for gap funding.

BN1 4GE has three variations, some lines on cab 66 (live), cab 64 no known plans and some EO (no known plans)

Cabinet 64 is not unduly small, about middling size for that exchange, so may have been difficulty find a location for the new fibre twin that put paid to any notion of rolling it out.

Have you checked whether you or neighbours can order from Virgin Media?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mr_jrt
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 21:45:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

We do get flyers from Virgin, but my neighbours who looked into this were told that there wasn't actually a cable down our road (Providence Place), so we couldn't get it and they weren't interested in laying one.

I have my suspicions that cab 66 is on the corner of Providence Place, York Hill and Elder Place, though this doesn't have a fibre cab nearby.

Whereas given the distribution of addresses on cab 64, I suspect it is either this, or this, which strangely does look like it has one.

Bit strange.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 03-Jul-14 21:52:12
Print Post

I think they are all cable cabs, not sure about the very 1st.
Standard User partial
(committed) Thu 03-Jul-14 21:53:01
Print Post

All three cabinets you have posted are Virgin. My hunch is that P64 will be in Fenchurch Walk.

Edited by partial (Thu 03-Jul-14 22:06:39)

Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Jul-14 01:22:14
Print Post

This is likely 64 as its a Openreach pcp.

http://goo.gl/Hp4Y75

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User B31
(newbie) Fri 04-Jul-14 07:09:01
Print Post

Was that recent? If not it might be worth trying virgin again, in case of any budget/funding changes.

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
No virgin media (available on the next road)
Standard User Fastman2
(regular) Fri 04-Jul-14 10:36:18
Print Post

There is not ability to mirgrate for One PCP to another for improvement of Broadband experience -- this sonds like development is fed form two difference cabs one covered under commerucla and one not viable either under the commerial -- then a a decision to see if covered under BDUK -- if not then only option to to self fund -- do you have a management complany / budiling management as that might be worth a discussion if there are a number of you i same situaion
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 04-Jul-14 19:49:18
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

The very first one looks similar to the 2nd one
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Jul-14 21:30:05
Print Post

This could be 66 http://goo.gl/QaJ5cC

If you take google maps to the oldest street view their is a openreach enginner working on the cab.

Orange BB 5856/448
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to