General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Weavus
(learned) Wed 02-Jul-14 09:41:46
Print Post

London zone 2, No FTTC, No Cable, No Hope?

[link to this post]

So I live in Bow (E3) London and I'm connected to the Mile End exchange (LNMED) which was enabled for FTTC many years ago but my cabinet (P14) was not part of the rollout due to it not being commerically viable at the time as part of the 66% enabled.

Fast forward to today and I still can't get broadband faster than 4mbs. From what I can see BDUK are not spending any money in London unless you are a business for which they can give you a subsidy to get faster broadband. At the time I thought it was just a matter of waiting until BT back filled my cabinet as it must be commecially viable in a built up residential area compared to a rural cabinet in the middle of nowhere but that now sadly does not seem to be the case.

Do I have any hope in the forseeable future to get decent broadband? Are any iniatives happening to backfill London FTTC or should I hope and pray that 4g boradband coverage (Relish) comes to my area? What are BDUK doing for London residents missed in the initial rollout?

Many thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Jul-14 10:43:48
Print Post

Re: London zone 2, No FTTC, No Cable, No Hope?

[re: Weavus] [link to this post]

3rd smallest cab on the exchange, hence why probably missed out.

The £50 million infill programme Openreach has might help, but have seen larger cabinets in other cities that could do with commercial roll-out still.

Until political will is for 100% superfast your location is going against you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jul-14 10:47:56
Print Post

What are BDUK doing for London residents missed in the initial rollout?
Nothing, nor the mayor who shows no interest. At least you aren't on an EO line without even a cab to enable.

I'm a fellow sufferer in SW9. BT want £30K to enable our late 1980s development (75 properties). All EO lines and no cable whereas other properties in the same street have access to both.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Weavus
(learned) Wed 02-Jul-14 10:49:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Do you happen to know how many lines are connected to the cab or just its the 3rd smallest. I spoke with a BT engineer once who was working on it and he claimed it looked like it had a hundred or more lines on it which seems a lot compared to some of these cabs being enabled in rural locations but maybe he was mistaken.

Do you know why BDUK don't help London residents?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Jul-14 11:18:56
Print Post

Why no BDUK in London, because invariably cable coverage with the existing FTTC puts them above the 90% superfast threshold and above 95% in a good number of cases. e.g. Virgin Media covers 81.5% of Bromley, 94% of Camden.

Around 150 lines I think, so yes bigger than some rural cabinets, but there is more political pressure to do the market towns and villages

Its the reality of no political pressure to ensure 100% coverage at superfast speeds.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Weavus
(learned) Wed 02-Jul-14 11:47:56
Print Post

Well that sucks then. I've written to my MP about it a couple of times and had zero response.

To make matters 100 times worse for me I have another cab on the outside of my house wall that is FTTC enabled but I imagine BT would not allow me to take another phone line connected to that one. So frustrating.
Standard User kebabselector
(learned) Wed 02-Jul-14 11:58:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
3rd smallest cab on the exchange, hence why probably missed out.

Do you have data for all exchanges? as i'd be interested to find out about my cab

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb.
Exchange is Fibre enabled, street cab not economically viable to upgrade.
Could get V*rgin, but I'd rather not.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 02-Jul-14 12:45:26
Print Post

If there is a cabinet there, then you can ASK. And make your phone line order dependent on the line being FTTC capable. You will however have a 12/18/24 month contract.

Then move your ADSL to that line with a number switch at the same time. Cease the old line, and upgrade ADSL to FTTC.

It is possible, you will just need to manage it carefully and have an understanding sales person.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Weavus
(learned) Wed 02-Jul-14 13:01:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If there is a cabinet there, then you can ASK. And make your phone line order dependent on the line being FTTC capable.
It is possible, you will just need to manage it carefully and have an understanding sales person.

Interesting. You really think I have any chance of them agreeing to this? I thought it would be 'impossible' in their system (i.e. its not something they ever do) and well beyond the understanding of any sales person I'd likely to be able to get hold of by just ringing them up.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach this and which department in particular I should contact?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Jul-14 13:17:33
Print Post

If it is literally attached to the house, then yes chances are high enough to go for it. If it was across the road I would say forget it.

Who to contact sales for who ever you want to order a telephone line from, but probably this is one where going BT and getting them to undertake the requirement for it to be via THAT cabinet is the key. Might be a long struggle.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to