General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Weavus
(learned) Wed 02-Jul-14 17:46:30
Print Post

Re: London zone 2, No FTTC, No Cable, No Hope?

[re: jonathanjo] [link to this post]

My issue is if the BT engineer will be able to connect me to a different cabinet on the day. I'd imagine which cab they connect to would be pre-determined and not something the engineer could change when they arrived. I need to find out how I can order the new line connected to the FTTC enabled cab ahead of an engineer arriving I suspect.

Even if I ask them to place the master socket on the wall that the other cab is next to would not mean they would (or have the power to) suddenly decide to switch cabs right? Maybe giving them some backhand cash to connect me to the 'wrong' cab might be the way to go.

Edited by Weavus (Wed 02-Jul-14 17:48:58)

Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Wed 02-Jul-14 18:26:24
Print Post

[re: Weavus] [link to this post]

Weavus ...

I'm sure you're right it's predetermined, but I was thinking about how to make it obviously ridiculous to connect it to a cabinet that's 100s of metres away when there is one 100 mm away. Perhaps if you give the address that service is required at as "Wall adjacent Cabinet XX"?

I'm actually being semi-serious ... it might actually work!

Jonathan.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 02-Jul-14 18:40:32
Print Post

In this case it won't work. The building dp is fed from one PCP (11?) and although PCP 50 is outside the building there is no duct route to it. I suppose the op could ask for a network re- arrangement, but that's going to be in the thousands

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(regular) Thu 03-Jul-14 10:04:46
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

the easies way is to work with community to fund the cab directly via openreach-- especially if there are good number on it --

number is linked to DP - Cab - Exchange
Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 11:37:30
Print Post

Hi Ribble ..

in my case, I can see the wire go from my house to the pole (is that the DP?). How do you know where it is for Weavus? Do you have a map of cabinets and the delivery points?

Jonathan.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 03-Jul-14 12:15:37
Print Post

Something like that
Standard User jabuzzard
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 12:19:06
Print Post

Is there FTTP/FTTPod on your exchange? Given that this requires new ducting anyway and there is a fibre enabled cabinet in spitting distance you might have more luck going down that route.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 03-Jul-14 12:41:22
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

I think for FTTPoD you have to be connected to a FTTC enabled cab before it can be ordered and also the aggregation node where fibre will come from may not be near the cabinet.
Standard User Weavus
(learned) Thu 03-Jul-14 14:08:32
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

What's a ballpack figure for self funding a cabinet?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 03-Jul-14 14:32:19
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

For FTTPoD you don't have to be connected in the sense of already having FTTC, which is how I read your post. Your PCP merely has to be FTTC enabled.

FTTPoD is not fed from the FTTC cabinet, but from the most convenient aggregation point. Given that Weavus has a PCP attached to the house and its FTTP twin across the road, the aggregation point may not be far away. If so, the cost would be highly influenced by where it is and the routing of existing trunking.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to