General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fenlandbroadband
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jul-14 21:16:27
Print Post

Ramsey Cambridgeshire PE26 (EMRMSEY)

[link to this post]

The exchange is showing on the Openreach When and Where as 2014, and is part of the Connecting Cambridgeshire BDUK rollout

Some cabinets have already gone live in the past couple of weeks, and today a new item has appeared on roadworks.org for the following:

"Build 1 concrete chamber 2315mm x 737mm x 1565mm deep in Footway, Demolish 1 existing joinbox(s) or cabinet base(s), Erect/Renew 1 PCP cabinet and base (600mm x 300mm x 1000mm), Install 3m of 4 poly ducts in Verge, Install 3m of 5 poly ducts in Footway, Install 3m of 7 poly ducts in Verge..."

I presume that's all but it may continue beyond the text that the Roadworks site is showing.

Google Streetview of the work location mentioned below. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.446117,-0.111772,3... -- Immediately in the background the other side of the trees is the exchange building.

This new work is located next to where the exchange is (PE26 1NF) and is next to an area shown on http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/getting-su... as being white on the rollout map (better broadband coming soon at a later date) The properties in that "white" area are all EO lines, including the one I'm on. The new work is also alongside where the fibre was being put in to existing ducting to the other cabinets from the end of 2013, and although I've not been able to find a number for the properties immediately alongside this area (which went green first - about 11 properties on PE26 1NA) I think they may be FTTP with no cabinet feeding them as they were showing as green on the map before any cabinets had been shown as enabled on http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/getting-su...

On the Streetview you'll see there is a small chamber and then a bench which covers a larger chamber (the bench isn't there now and hasn't been for quite a while). Both of these were where Openreach have been pushing fibre down and back up again on the other side of the road where it has gone to the cabinets around the town and no doubt also to feed the exchange from elsewhere.

Is this to enable the EO area lines (Fairfields Drive, Bryan Close, Wyatt Close, Old Station Road, Signal Road) with FTTC (new PCP being installed, which I presume means network re-arrangement for the 130+ or so properties in that area) or FTTP, or something else?

The chamber seems relatively large from what I can tell and from other threads on here it suggests something that size is usually FTTP rollout with an aggregation node in the chamber - anyone know what the likely outcome is going to be based on the info above?

Thanks,

Simon

| Be* (and previously ZeN Dec 2006-Jan 2009, plusnet Aug 2004-Dec 2006, ZeN Apr 2003-Aug 2004)
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 04-Jul-14 22:13:02
Print Post

Re: Ramsey Cambridgeshire PE26 (EMRMSEY)

[re: fenlandbroadband] [link to this post]

From your info only seems more likely to be a PCP/fttc build than fttp.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jul-14 07:17:36
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply. Do you think this would lead to the EO lines getting FTTC (effectively the lines moved from EO to the new cabinet)

I will follow what happens and see if any works or markings appear for a fibre cabinet too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jul-14 08:47:55
Print Post

PE26 1NA is split between EO and cab 4 currently.

Signs are some EO to get FTTP, but that may have changed of course. Of course if just a green PSTN cab it may to tidy up the EO lines and still give them FTTP. Or a fibre twin will appear at a later date, which is what happened on my exchange, i.e. voice side done and then later the fibre cabinet was put in. The fact they are re-doing a join box suggests its work that is overdue and by putting in the cabinet they are making life easier in the future.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jul-14 13:29:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for this info Andrew.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
PE26 1NA is split between EO and cab 4 currently.

PE26 1NA is Bury Road and part of the town that has gone green so far, and where I felt some of the initial properties (before any cabinet was shown as enabled) were in. Cab 4 is a short distance down the road at the junction with Biggin Lane and has had a replacement PCP and a fibre twin as far as I'm aware, however isn't showing as enabled yet on the Connecting Cambridgeshire website.

Are you able to see anything for the other roads to the east of Bury Road which are in that "white" area on the coverage map and are EO lines, postcodes PE26 1NN, 1NL, 1LF, 1BT, 1LG, 1NG, 1NJ.

FTTP or FTTC I don't mind too much, as long as something faster is coming, although would secretly want FTTP for the potential future higher top speeds!

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Jul-14 19:02:47
Print Post

I've had a very helpful email back from Connecting Cambridgeshire confirming that the EO lines in this area are part of the programme and that there is a "cross connect cabinet" being installed at the location mentioned at the start of this topic. Looks like these specific EO lines in Ramsey are currently anticipated to be in stage 4 of the scheme (currently at Stage 2)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jul-14 23:44:19
Print Post

Seems lots of progress on this all of a sudden - work I'd seen on roadworks.org is due to become Cab 19 and appears the EO lines cover quite a few extra roads to the north west of the exchange towards the town centre alongside areas which have already been enabled in the last few weeks as part of the BDUK rollout.

Coverage map on the local BDUK site has also updated to show the area in yellow which claims it's June to September, although I've also seen by the end of December 2014 and March 2015 as quoted dates at various stages since originally posting this topic when there was nothing noted at all for when the upgrade may happen.

Edited by fenlandbroadband (Mon 14-Jul-14 23:44:37)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Jul-14 19:17:44
Print Post

An update on progress, in case anyone else locally is following along or other EO line users are interested in the process:

Work started on Friday 18th as per the Roadworks.org website details, and by the end of that day a large amount of digging had been done, as seen by the deep hole and huge mound of earth.

Morning of Tuesday 22nd when I went past there had clearly been quite a bit more progress and lots of staff on site with tubing and more digging, but that evening the Roadworks.org description has updated to have 22nd as the start date and the end date is now the 29th.

As of this morning, 23 April, there is a fairly large PCP cabinet in place and as far as I can tell they're normally only put in place once the base is ready, so that part must be complete.

Will see what else gets done in the remaining days of the current roadworks, but there is definitely progress!

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Aug-14 12:50:14
Print Post

After the installation of the PCP that ended a couple of days ago, Roadworks.org is now showing "Install 3m of 2 poly ducts in verge, Provide 1 Provide/Recover 1 NGA Cab and base (1.5m x 0.5m)" scheduled for 15 August to 26 August 2014.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Aug-14 21:18:04
Print Post

DSLAM has appeared in the Address checker on the BT checker now:

Address OPP 3A, STREET SIDE DSLAM CAB NNCAFE, BURY ROAD, RAMSEY, HUNTINGDON, PE26 1NA on Exchange RAMSEY HUNTS is served by Cabinet 19

(Don't suppose anyone knows more details about "NNCAFE" and what it'll provide and when?)

Roadworks.org now showing three sets of roadworks for this location next to the new PCP 19, starting this Friday all to provide an NGA cabinet and base, one set of roadworks 15 Aug to 26 Aug, and two from 18 Aug to 1 Sep.

No numbers/addresses showing as having been moved to PCP 19 yet. How long does it usually take to move a set of EO lines over to a PCP for phone and ADSL, and how does that technically happen? Is there a gap in service whilst wires are moved or is it all done without anything being noticed by the end users?

Jump to