General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gh22
(newbie) Tue 08-Jul-14 15:46:29
Print Post

BT Bonding and 30Mhz

[link to this post]

Last year I heard that BT would upgrade to their frequency plan to 30Mhz. But I havent heard any news of it. Is there any reason behind this?

Also, many operator in europe are turning to bonding to boost speeds, is this an option for BT?
Standard User Icaras
(regular) Tue 08-Jul-14 15:53:51
Print Post

Re: BT Bonding and 30Mhz

[re: gh22] [link to this post]

I don't think they will go down the bonding issue. It is more likely they'll move to FTTdp or Fibre to the Remote Node as they are calling it.

They'll move to 30Mhz when they feel the market demands it and when Virgin Media increase their speeds further.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jul-14 16:23:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by gh22:
Last year I heard that BT would upgrade to their frequency plan to 30Mhz. But I havent heard any news of it. Is there any reason behind this?

Also, many operator in europe are turning to bonding to boost speeds, is this an option for BT?

30MHz wasn't on the roadmap last year and still isn't.

I think bonding is problematic for regulatory reasons.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gh22
(newbie) Tue 08-Jul-14 17:11:16
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thanks Ignitionnet, any ideas of the regulatory reasons?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 08-Jul-14 18:35:03
Print Post

Who would benefit from a move? Very few. Those with a short line currently getting 80 Mbps will see an increase, those from maybe 70Mbps might get a small increase but those getting below will start to see a drop off and reduction in throughput capability. Some tests and estimate suggest that a customer receiving 40Mbps on profile 17a could potentially drop to 30Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jul-14 19:19:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by gh22:
Thanks Ignitionnet, any ideas of the regulatory reasons?

In order to bond the FTTC product would have to change considerably. At the moment Openreach sell a loop back to the exchange which stops off at an FTTC cabinet where it picks up the broadband signal.

To sell a bonded solution would either require 2 sets of line rental, be it a full line or a combination of full line and d-side between customer and cabinet which would be a regulatory change in itself, or a change to a model where a line rental element is bundled into the FTTC charge.

Either way it's a change in how the product works.
Standard User JNeuhoff
(experienced) Tue 08-Jul-14 19:48:48
Print Post

As far as I know BT Business does support Sharedband (see http://www.sharedband.com/) where you can bond up to 4 lines (ADSL or VDSL). However, BT Business does not support IPv6, nor Annex-M (in case of ADSL2+ lines).
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jul-14 19:57:34
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JNeuhoff:
As far as I know BT Business does support Sharedband (see http://www.sharedband.com/) where you can bond up to 4 lines (ADSL or VDSL). However, BT Business does not support IPv6, nor Annex-M (in case of ADSL2+ lines).

That's simply using a VPN to bond connections. Not related to pair bonding unfortunately.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 09-Jul-14 01:51:20
Print Post

is there a requirement for a 2nd line in a bundle to have line rental applied by ofcom?

Standard User Icaras
(member) Wed 09-Jul-14 09:13:12
Print Post

EFM can use multiple (up to 8 I think) FTTC connections that all go into one special router. Couldn't they just tweak that for the residential market?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to