General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mjl123
(newbie) Mon 14-Jul-14 10:17:52
Print Post

App for number of properties on a cabinet

[link to this post]

I wrote a quick app to find the number of properties on a cabinet, mentioned in another post and was asked if I'd share it, so here it is.

You have to supply it with a list of addresses and it will tell you the number of properties on each cabinet and provide a list of which address is on which cabinet.

You can use this site to draw an area on a map to get a list of postcodes.

Then use the Royal Mail site to get the addresses in that postcode.

You can Download it from my Dropbox.

Let me know if you have any issues / questions.

Matt

Edited by mjl123 (Mon 14-Jul-14 13:51:52)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Jul-14 10:27:36
Print Post

Re: App for number of properties on a cabinet

[re: mjl123] [link to this post]

Just sent you a PM on this, then spotted your post, will be interested to see how it works.

Standard User kebabselector
(learned) Sat 19-Jul-14 10:39:32
Print Post

Hi Matt,

Managed to get the information needed for my cab.

It's a small cab, but according to the App it has 221 properties connected to it. I'm not sure what the qualifying number for the 66% is but my cab isn't there frown

However I now have 221 properties I can target!

I initially tried the app at the office, but it didn't like our proxy server so had to run it at home instead.

Thanks for the time you've taken to create the app.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb.
Exchange is Fibre enabled, street cab not economically viable to upgrade.
Could get V*rgin, but I'd rather not.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sat 19-Jul-14 10:54:27
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

cuirious as to what di you expect to get out of the this exercise -- cab not in commercal - have you checked to see in BDUK (assume in BDUK area) are you in a new build development do you know the cost of enabling that cab from openreach see FAQ's --

post code data is not reliable at cab level depening what you have used to generate the lust so your premises could be servied by more than one cab

if the cab is not commercial or bduk the only way is private funding

Edited by Fastman2 (Sat 19-Jul-14 10:55:15)

Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sat 19-Jul-14 10:57:32
Print Post

as an aside that data you have obtained is confidential data and only available at a CP' level - so i assume your not a CP's and your publically announceing an app using commercially sensitve network information from a Network Operator that you are going to use to target communiues / postcodes

Edited by Fastman2 (Sat 19-Jul-14 11:00:48)

(learned) Sat 19-Jul-14 11:09:50
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Sadly we are not part of BDUK as Virgin is in the area - neither is it a new estate. What annoys me is if we were all connected to a larger cabinet then we would have a fibre cab installed - all the large size cabs in the area have a fibre cab installed (might not be running yet - but the cabs are there). It's uneconomical for BT as they chose to install smaller cabs in our area 50 years ago. What I hope to achieve is educate the my local community to the fact that we aren't getting fibre from openreach - despite all the advertising we keep getting about it.

The postcode data might not be entirely accurate, but knowing the area and position of Cabs I reckon is probably 90% right - just properties on the edges of my search might be on other cabs.

Maybe if enough of us complain they might look into it, either that or we can all move to Virgin - I don't want to do that, but it remains an option.

Not too sure what you saying about the data as it's publicly available using the BT DSL Checker. I'm not publishing the cab data - just using it for my research

Edited by kebabselector (Sat 19-Jul-14 11:11:37)

Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sat 19-Jul-14 11:17:57
Print Post

so where does the lust of postcodes come from to detemine what cab
(learned) Sat 19-Jul-14 11:26:10
Print Post

A map and the Royal Mail Postcode checker - all online all public domain data.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jul-14 12:21:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
as an aside that data you have obtained is confidential data and only available at a CP' level - so i assume your not a CP's and your publically announceing an app using commercially sensitve network information from a Network Operator that you are going to use to target communiues / postcodes

The app uses the BT Wholesale checker. I have done similar via a manual process, no need for anything confidential.

Without using anything more than a postcode map and the Wholesale checker this information can be obtained.

Unsure how useful it is now beyond for curiosity though. When I did this there was obviously a point behind it.
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sat 19-Jul-14 13:06:39
Print Post

cabs can serve bost single / multilple postocdes / and some postcodes are sevcied by multiple cabs
Standard User mjl123
(newbie) Sat 19-Jul-14 13:43:02
Print Post

A postcode can be served by multiple cabinets, but that's irrelevant as the app doesn't use postcodes to get the cabinet, it uses the address checker at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/.

My first post had the details in about where to get the list of postcodes and list of addresses, so not sure where the confusion came from.

As others have said, all publicly available data, so no need to panic!
Standard User mjl123
(newbie) Sat 19-Jul-14 13:52:54
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Unsure how useful it is now beyond for curiosity though. When I did this there was obviously a point behind it.

It was mainly curiosity for me. Although I believe part of the "commercially viable" assessment was based on number of properties who registered their interest, so if you wanted to encourage your neighbours to do so, but didn't want to waste time with those on a different cabinet, then it could be handy.

It's had at least (initially I put a direct link up, so no analytics) 56 downloads, so guess others are curious too. http://goo.gl/#analytics/goo.gl/t4GKDO/all_time

I'm not sure if the next BDUK phase will look at the number of properties who've expressed an interest in fibre when considering which cabinets to include?

Having said that, i'm sure that didn't play much of a part in Openreach's calculations, so it is mainly out of curiosity! smile
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jul-14 20:33:45
Print Post

Incidentally oddly my AV wanted to prevent the program from running.

I looked at it through IDA and it's a totally innocuous .net assembly with only a few functions all of which are easy enough to understand.

Have to love paranoid AV.
Standard User max360
(newbie) Sun 20-Jul-14 01:00:22
Print Post

I've just tried the app. My Cab 24 on CMSTE has: 339 properties and it's a large type cabinet (Cabinet Pic here) and it's not being deployed as part of BT's 66% Commercial Plan.

Iím currently getting around 6Mbps.

Edited by max360 (Sun 20-Jul-14 01:01:08)

Standard User kcc_bag
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-15 15:03:46
Print Post

Hi Matt
Thanks for this. It goes almost the full mile!! Certainly very usable, though quite a lot of work needed to pick up postcodes and build the address list (and limitations in the Royal Mail site).

1. I see that the dslchecker site can be driven by phone number as well as address/postcode. Would it be possible to get a phone number driven version of your app?
2. The "not found" message - with a genuine (known) address or phone number, this probably means an Exchange Only (EO) line. Otherwise, it would genuinely be "not found". Could you app distinguish between the 2 possibilities?
3. How does your app cope with multiple lines (so phone numbers) into 1 address?

As an alternative to (1) above is there an easy way to convert/supplement from the address to the phone number, once the CSV file has been created?

Many thanks again - this is really very close to perfect!
Doug
Standard User mjl123
(learned) Tue 14-Jul-15 17:04:29
Print Post

[re: kcc_bag] [link to this post]

Glad it's been of some use smile

Getting the addresses is certainly the most annoying part of using the app, but I couldn't find a free postcode to address webservice

This site may make it easier to find the likely postcodes for a cabinet: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

I'll try and answer your questions:

1. It's certainly possible to add a phone number lookup option, but i'm not sure how useful this would be? Most of the time you wouldn't know that many phone numbers for lines on a cabinet, and if you did know someone's phone number, chances are you know the address.

2. It would be a quick change to get the app to differentiate between EO and invalid addresses, if I get chance this week I'll add that in and post an updated version.

3. I'm not sure what the wholesale checker returns if a property has multiple lines, so I don't know what the app would do without an example to look at. I imagine as both lines are almost certainly connected to the same cabinet it would return the same info as if there were only one line, but I don't know.

4. I don't know of any Address to phone number datasets out there that the app could use for this? I don't have any access to any BT databases or anything, I can only work with publicly available data

If I get time I'll change it to see if i can do something with the codelook data.

Matt

Edited by mjl123 (Tue 14-Jul-15 17:14:28)

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Tue 14-Jul-15 17:21:16
Print Post

if you put just the postcode in the address checker on
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
it responds with a list of addresses for that postcode.
Standard User kcc_bag
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-15 17:49:24
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Sorry ggremlin, I tried it and for me it only gave 1 result (and the preamble said it was only a guesstimate anyway based on a central point).
Maybe I'm missing something?
Standard User kcc_bag
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-15 17:57:32
Print Post

Hi again!
Thanks for the prompt reply. An update would be really good.

The reason for using the phone number as a seed is that it would make checking a group of premises much easier due to greatly simplified entry data, so far less typing! This would enable an overall count to be established, then just have to do a reverse lookup to get an individual address.

What you have is still a really useful app!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Jul-15 18:05:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by kcc_bag:
Sorry ggremlin, I tried it and for me it only gave 1 result (and the preamble said it was only a guesstimate anyway based on a central point).
Maybe I'm missing something?
Are you sure you put the postcode into the Address checker? That's what gives the list of addresses. The Postcode checker is the one that gives a single unreliable result.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57840/12740kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User kcc_bag
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-15 18:12:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Aha! I see what you mean - and I WAS missing something therefore!
However, I'm trying to save doing all the typing - and it doesn't appear to be possible to select and copy from the list - even a single address ;-(
Unless you know different again wink

A nice try though, thanks!
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jul-15 19:04:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by kcc_bag:
However, I'm trying to save doing all the typing - and it doesn't appear to be possible to select and copy from the list - even a single address ;-(

You can't easily copy and paste from a dropdown list on a web page. If you're feeling brave, you could try this:

http://techbrij.com/copy-extract-html-drop-down-list...

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Jul-15 19:14:02
Print Post

I don't intend to do anything with it, so don't know if you can, but if you have the list there you can View source of the page in your browser and see the whole list in the HTML.

Amusingly if you use postcode SK1 3BD in the list of addresses you get Strawberry Studios. They occupied the ground floor of No. 3, but closed over twenty years ago. (I used to have an office next door).

However, looking at wiki, I see this:-
On 3 May 2007 a plaque was mounted on the front of 3 Waterloo Road by the Borough of Stockport for the Stockport Heritage Trust marking the building as one of notable historical interest. The plaque reads: "Strawberry Recording Studios 1968 to 1993. Association with the band 10cc resulted in some of the most memorable music being produced at these studios. Paul McCartney, Neil Sedaka, Stone Roses, the Syd Lawrence Orchestra and many others also recorded here."
So it looks like that's now the postal address of the ground floor.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Jul-15 19:14:55
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Over-lapping post smile.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jul-15 19:20:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't intend to do anything with it, so don't know if you can, but if you have the list there you can View source of the page in your browser and see the whole list in the HTML.

The right-click "View source" is disabled on that page, but you can do it with Ctrl-U.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User mjl123
(learned) Tue 14-Jul-15 19:45:42
Print Post

A lot of websites have an address lookup on them, whilst it would be possible to programmatically submit a postcode to the wholesale checker (or any website with postcode lookup functionality) and get the addresses back, it's not really fair to do so.

We're lucky openreach haven't blocked apps like mine from hitting their database so many times, I wouldn't want to push it.

If you're really keen there are sites where you can pay to lookup addresses from postcodes. Postcode anywhere is one I've used before.

If anyone knows of a free postcode to address service then let me know and I'll change the app to use it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Jul-15 19:54:00
Print Post

I just use the View source from the top Menu bar in IE 11, (and all earlier IEs).

Interestingly, Chrome gives me a source, but not of the displayed page. From a quick scan it may be the HTML before the drop-down list was filled.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 14-Jul-15 19:55:06)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jul-15 20:03:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Interestingly, Chrome gives me a source, but not of the displayed page. From a quick scan it may be the HTML before the drop-down list was filled.

Ctrl-U in Chrome gives me the full source, including the addresses.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Tue 14-Jul-15 22:00:54
Print Post

if you are only trying to find approx. number lines on a cabinet, you just need the count of addresses per postcode, (not the detail). and use percentage data from the magenta/codelook site.
I note that for live cabinets, codelook list approx. coverage numbers too.
Standard User kcc_bag
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-15 00:14:52
Print Post

Thanks - good spot!
Standard User mjl123
(learned) Fri 24-Jul-15 14:29:28
Print Post

I've update the application to recognise EO lines, also added a cancel option.

You can download it from my dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/txa6i62kipflqny/Cabinet%20...

Hope this helps.

Matt

Edited by mjl123 (Fri 24-Jul-15 14:30:46)

Standard User kcc_bag
(newbie) Fri 24-Jul-15 17:07:06
Print Post

Hi there - thanks for the update! Your earlier version has done a sterling job in the interim, on the assumption that any "Not Found" was an EO line!

I've just run V1.3 against a postcode, with a mix of Cabinet and "Not Found" lines, and it comes up with a Cabinet count, and EO(your exchange) and a count. Great! From Magenta's CodeLook I can get the actual Exchange connection number. I don't suppose you can see that?

I've also run it against a trial postcode that seems to have some kind of mix of Cabinet and maybe EO lines. The results are the same with both versions. From Magenta's Postcode they are supposed to be all Cabinet lines. The "maybe non-cabinet lines" came up as "Cabinet 9<" and a count. I'm not sure what this "9<" means? I've seen it on another postcode too coming up as "1<". From Magenta's CodeLook this postcode is entirely EO.

Do you have any explanation for this labeling?

Thanks for all the good work! Keep it up, and have a great weekend!
Standard User mjl123
(learned) Fri 24-Jul-15 17:09:09
Print Post

Have you tried the addresses directly in the wholesale checker? If you post or PM me the addresses that are giving an odd result i'll have a look.

Cheers
Standard User Basil1234
(newbie) Sat 01-Aug-15 13:45:45
Print Post

used the btdsl check i know im on cab 41 but is there anyway of find the physical location of where that cab is?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 01-Aug-15 14:07:32
Print Post

[re: Basil1234] [link to this post]

Follow the telephone line, the cab is at the other end.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sat 01-Aug-15 17:36:36
Print Post

[re: Basil1234] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Basil1234:
used the btdsl check i know im on cab 41 but is there anyway of find the physical location of where that cab is?
Try looking here:

[Cabinet 41]
https://goo.gl/maps/GEU7J

[Cabinet 42]
https://goo.gl/maps/QAyjM

I added both just in case the number have worn off now due to they are sort of close to each other.

*** update ***
Sorry wrong exchange and cabinet.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 01-Aug-15 18:17:58)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 01-Aug-15 17:54:10
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Isn't he in Gosport?
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sat 01-Aug-15 18:16:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Isn't he in Gosport?
Yeah, your right, don't known where I got the Bargoed Exchange from.
I guess that's what happens when people come in and interrupt me when looking up stuff tongue

Back to searching

Paul
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 01-Aug-15 18:31:31
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Is this it? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.790487,-1.137642,3...
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Sat 01-Aug-15 18:43:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Is this it? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.790487,-1.137642,3...
Nope, but I have found it, I kept going right past it several times.
https://goo.gl/maps/GZePn

That's PCP Cabinet 41.

And slightly to the left you can see the fibre cabinet:
https://goo.gl/maps/YtGFU

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 01-Aug-15 18:46:18)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to