General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Jul-14 19:10:01
Print Post

FTTC + PSTN with Sky 2 separate providers process?

[link to this post]

I wonder if anyone has experience of migrating AWAY from Sky Fibre (with the bundled Line Rental) but instead of something like BT Infinity where they take the phone line too, separately where the Phone Rental goes to provider A but the FTTC service is migrated to provider B.

This isn't a combination I've ever had before so I'm not sure of the specifics involved, because most people seem to have migrated from one "have to do both" to another "have to do both".

Is there a way to do this currently without a loss of service on one or the other, and if so, can anyone point me to the correct process? I've never had to worry about these bundle scenarios before, and I'm struggling to find much comprehensive information as the majority seems to be "from BT to Sky" or "from Sky to BT" - but that won't be the scenario here.

Any pointers folks please?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Jul-14 20:12:23
Print Post

Re: FTTC + PSTN with Sky 2 separate providers process?

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

I would think you could move your FTTC away from Sky to any of the many ISPs that don't require you to put your line with them, as Sky do have stand-alone phone rental/calls. The problem would be if breaking the bundle creates a new minimum term for the Sky Talk.

If it doesn't, you then simply move the phone after the FTTC migration. Is there anything in their T & Cs about it?

Have you specific providers in mind?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Jul-14 22:54:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sky do do standalone voice via WLR, but if you are on voice and FTTC it will be full LLU, so would require them to move you off of full LLU onto the WLR platform i.e. not going to be automatic

A linked simultaneous provider between two co-operative providers is probably the correct way, but difficult to setup.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Jul-14 23:26:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I agree on both counts. That was what I was getting at in terms of what the customer experiences. The simultaneous provide involving two new suppliers struck me as exceedingly risky.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Jul-14 17:51:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In principle I agree RobertoS, but Sky specifically state that you MUST move the phone line away if you move Broadband away.

It doesn't specify (and they seem to have little/no clue on how it works in practice (I don't think they've got much experience of it - because most people have left for Infinity because most of the world thinks that *is* fibre) how it works in practice - eg do they allow a 30 day period, or do they really just dump you entirely which would of course cause a cease on the newly migrated FTTC as well making matters even worse.

I care only of the technical options, not the cost implications (excluding those that arise in the above screwed up transfer + cease scenario) - it should be possible I would imagine to move both in theory to separate places, but whether in practice this works I'm trying to find out - hence the post.

It doesn't matter who it is to except that they're not the same company and thus not a phone + bb combo - I don't think you can do a sim transfer - only a sim provide (although if you can point me to the SIN I'll happily review).
  Print Thread

Jump to