General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WishPerfect
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Jul-14 23:59:13
Print Post

Zen Fibre

[link to this post]

I am going to upgrade my Zen line to Fibre 1. I don't think my Netgear N300 DGN2200 will work with it. Can anyone recommend a new modem router that I could pick up from a local PC World? Thanks!

"My God...it's full of stars"

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the wickedest of men will do the wickedest of things for greatest good of everyone" J.M.K
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Jul-14 00:04:45
Print Post

Re: Zen Fibre

[re: WishPerfect] [link to this post]

PCWorld will not have a FTTC modem/router, what you are after is a device that has an Ethernet WAN port which in PC World speak means it is a cable or fibre router.

The Asus RT-N66U is a good choice and PC World is not a bad price there is cheaper but if you are going to be getting a fast FTTC service best not to limit with a too cheap and underpowered router

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Jul-14 00:25:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks! I'll get that and Zen can talk me through setting it up. smile

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the wickedest of men will do the wickedest of things for greatest good of everyone" J.M.K

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Jul-14 00:29:06
Print Post

Its easy, just set the router to use a PPPoE session with the Zen user name and password and connect the Ethernet WAN interface to the Openreach modems LAN interface.

If you go for the Asus then take a look at the various alternate firmware versions, there is a LOT of stuff you can do with that device

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Wed 16-Jul-14 13:35:32
Print Post

If you want a one-box solution, consider the Fritzbox 3390: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/network-wifi/3471...

You'd need to order online, but means you won't have to have the BT modem, and a seperate modem. Get the modem from the engineer though, as a backup laugh

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Jul-14 17:00:26
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Hi! Thanks! I've bought a Netgear from Zen and will leave it all to the Engineer when they install it. It is all hidden from sight anyway. I just hope it all goes to plan next week! Thanks for the reply. smile

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Jul-14 17:06:58
Print Post

Do they do a managed install, or just a standard engineer install? On a standard one the engineer is not tasked to touch the router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 16-Jul-14 17:07:34)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Jul-14 17:58:40
Print Post

Which model have you bought???

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Jul-14 17:58:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No they don't, for a Zen install, it'll be modem only.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Jul-14 20:04:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

BTO engineer did set up Plusnet Router with openreach modem for my parents last week to ensure it working ok. Because my parents haven't got any clue how to set up.

So, Zen is more likely BTO modem standalone. If they sent u Netgear router, u more likely to set up yourself.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to