General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 13:38:31
Print Post

Torcross/Kingsbridge fibre cable run delayed

[link to this post]

Hi,

BT were due (according to roadworks.org) to lay fibre from Kingsbridge to Torcross exchanges in July, but the job has been removed from roadworks.org as of last week. I know Kingsbridge's exchange is accepting fibre orders in some parts now. My worry is that the fibre run to Torcross has been delayed indefinitely while CDS (Connecting Devon and Somerset, part of BDUK) tend to other parts of the region.

Or, might it mean the cable run was done so quickly and efficiently that the month-long work has already been done?!

Our cabinet (number 2) in Slapton is upgraded (new NGA installed); we're just waiting for the fibre...

Does anyone know how reliable roadworks.org is, and whether the removal of a job there indicates that it's been cancelled?

Thanks

Will

Edited by deiwise (Wed 16-Jul-14 13:39:29)

Standard User IranianGiraffe
(member) Wed 16-Jul-14 14:46:18
Print Post

Re: Torcross/Kingsbridge fibre cable run delayed

[re: deiwise] [link to this post]

I've found that the dates were conservative here.

Installing the cabinet was down for 2 weeks, but was done way before that.
Fibre being laid was down for 3 or so weeks but was done within 1 week.

So they could easily have finished early, I don't remember either being removed from roadworks.org after they had been finished though, I'm sure they stayed on there all the time.

They've got a concrete chamber and cabinet being installed on the road between Kingsbridge and Torcross between 29/9-10/10 (with BDUK funding) so as I can't see it being delayed indefinitely and it could well of been finished (I saw my cabinet install date move forward a few months as well so the dates for the cab I mentioned could be moved forward as well).
When was your cab installed??
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 14:58:06
Print Post

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IranianGiraffe:
I've found that the dates were conservative here.

Installing the cabinet was down for 2 weeks, but was done way before that.
Fibre being laid was down for 3 or so weeks but was done within 1 week.

Whereabouts are you? Chillington?

So they could easily have finished early, I don't remember either being removed from roadworks.org after they had been finished though, I'm sure they stayed on there all the time.

They've got a concrete chamber and cabinet being installed on the road between Kingsbridge and Torcross between 29/9-10/10 (with BDUK funding) so as I can't see it being delayed indefinitely and it could well of been finished (I saw my cabinet install date move forward a few months as well so the dates for the cab I mentioned could be moved forward as well).

Has your cab not been upgraded yet then?

When was your cab installed??

About three weeks ago. Don't believe it's got power yet, and certainly not fibre. This is cab 2 in Slapton

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 16-Jul-14 16:27:56
Print Post

Hi

I'm actually in Exminster, Exeter. Mine was completed in Dec last year but those dates I mentioned were for around my area, they were just guides as to how long they were down for on roadworks and how long they actually took and to show that they could easily have finished early going by the dates down for mine.

I see that Torcross was down to be ready by June but has now got a date of Oct for cabinet 1 and 3 (I know at least one of those is in chillington but can't remember which) so I guess they had issues at some point (maybe they still have like you said), not sure where the exchange is but it looks like it's going to be fun getting the fibre to your cab (I'm guessing that's why yours isn't down to be completed in Oct like 1 and 3.
They must of got the fibre (or are confident) of getting the fibre around there though as like I said they have a new cabinet being installed through frogmore on the way there.
there map shows the frogmore and chillington upwards towards sherford area being covered by Oct.

Hopefully you wont have to wait to long until you get it.

Regards
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 16-Jul-14 17:57:38
Print Post

I suspect there was merely a change of plan resourcing the work and it will go ahead in due course
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 18:45:11
Print Post

Thanks for the reply - you're right. Things must change. It's just frustrating beyond belief, when you think you're just about there (I've been campaigning for this for a decade!) and it suddenly goes quiet.

Cheers
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 18:46:10
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks Ribble. The really interesting thing is how they'll get the fibre to Slapton village!
(member) Mon 28-Jul-14 08:31:44
Print Post

Hi,

I'm not sure if you've noticed but on roadworks.org between 27th Oct and 30th Nov there are a lot of plans to access the under ground network along the A379 between Frogmore and along towards your cab, Also one of the jobs is down for work between today and 11th August.
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Mon 28-Jul-14 08:50:49
Print Post

Yep, saw that, thanks. No mention of Slapton, but I suppose these lines they're laying need to be done first.
  Print Thread

Jump to