General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Jul-14 11:42:32
Print Post

Google Fiber in Britain?

[link to this post]

This article cropped up in the Telegraph -

Google is exploring building ultrafast fibre optic networks in British cities, in a move that would add to pressure on BT to further upgrade its ageing infrastructure.

It is understood that web giant has held detailed talks with a recently listed British company called CityFibre, with a view to extending its Google Fiber project outside the US for the first time.

The discussions broke down amid concerns from CityFibre that an existing partnership with BSkyB would be threatened. BSkyB and TalkTalk are funding a pilot fibre-optic network rollout in to 20,000 homes and businesses in York.

CityFibre feared the satellite broadcaster would see the web giant as a future rival in the pay-TV market and back out, sources said. Google is understood to still be looking to build internet infrastructure in the UK, however.

A source said: “Google historically have always publicly said they would never build fibre outside the US. But in the background they are talking to people here in the UK and looking at projects.

Rest of article...

I think Google Fiber in the UK would initially be somewhat symbolic but would also create a heck of a lot of publicity and perhaps encourage the political parties to support increased fibre rollout.

EDIT:

Not really on topic but this video(wait for advert to finish) shows having Google provide FTTP is not without its problems. tongue

Edited by Spud2003 (Fri 18-Jul-14 15:00:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Jul-14 12:04:33
Print Post

Re: Google Fiber in Britain?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

It depends what you mean by "support".

If Google choose to enter the market, thereby increasing the competition, then it is the existing companies that will need to respond, not politicians.

The politicians will just say it shows that market forces work.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jul-14 13:14:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Bring it on! We want Google Fiber. Get rid of BT FTTC for good because BT are too greed and old age technology, still using copper to the house. FTTC is not a true fiber!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sammaye
(newbie) Fri 18-Jul-14 13:38:23
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

There would be a number of reasons to not want to go on a Google network:

- I doubt very much they will do fibre to house, considering the network we currently have (which Google Legally cannot overwrite, and wouldn't anyway, they don't do that) and also considering how much it costs to do fibre to house. I mean BT will do it but they say you have to pay for it, £1,200 base.

- Google are already using everything by their means to tax avoid so why would they shell out the needed money to make a decent network? Their software and services also go the same way eventually, not updated and not fixed.

- Google has been known to use their network as a means to illegally gather private information about those who use them, they have been taken to court for it

- Google is a very shady company and have changed their minds many times on many subjects.

BT may not be the smartest, nor the most modern, but they do stick by their users as much as possible and don't do too many illegal things.

Also BT have stated they wish to have fibre to the bx by 2015 at the latest for the entire country. So it is not like they are not putting in the effort.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jul-14 13:50:10
Print Post

[re: Sammaye] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sammaye:
BT may not be the smartest, nor the most modern, but they do stick by their users as much as possible and don't do too many illegal things.

Also BT have stated they wish to have fibre to the bx by 2015 at the latest for the entire country. So it is not like they are not putting in the effort.

You are joking about BT sticking by their users as much as possible, right? Have you actually read the stuff that Snowden has published which, as far the UK goes, heavily features BT?

BT pledged to cover 2/3rds of the UK, another 27% is being covered with taxpayer subsidy, Cornwall's initial build which forms part of the 2/3rds was with taxpayer / ERDF subsidy, and the other 10% there are no plans for beyond a 'minimum' 2Mb to many, again subsidised by the taxpayer.

Google Fibre is fibre to the home, there is absolutely no point in building a new network any other way and Google can most certainly overbuild 'the network we currently have' as can anyone else who puts the money in.

Your post is mostly wrong, I just picked on the a couple of the more ridiculous parts.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 18-Jul-14 13:51:09)

Standard User rhetherington
(member) Fri 18-Jul-14 13:55:14
Print Post

Would love some Google Fibre here. They could buy out small-scale providers like WightFibre and expand from that base.
Standard User Sammaye
(newbie) Fri 18-Jul-14 13:55:51
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

You are joking about BT sticking by their users as much as possible, right? Have you actually read the stuff that Snowden has published which, as far the UK goes, heavily features BT?

If I remember right it features most ISPs, including Search Engines such as Google.

Unfortunately when your government throws a NDA and a National Security threat at you you don't have much choice.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Jul-14 14:09:29
Print Post

My take is that CityFibre was looking at Google as a source of VC and would probably just result in cities where 152Mbps is available having another faster option

Keep trying to discover number of Google Fiber customers but for some reason never announced

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jul-14 15:10:45
Print Post

[re: Sammaye] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sammaye:
If I remember right it features most ISPs, including Search Engines such as Google.

Unfortunately when your government throws a NDA and a National Security threat at you you don't have much choice.

So the difference between that and Google is.....?

Either way GCHQ get their mitts on the stuff; at least Google have a track record of actively resisting surveillance.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 18-Jul-14 15:12:28
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I not read as I cant find it anywhere. You have a url?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to