General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sceptic101
(newbie) Tue 22-Jul-14 22:47:22
Print Post

New cabinet outside my Exchange

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I live closeby the Coppull Exchange which is currently being FTTC/FTTP enabled with a go live date of Dec 2014 apparently. Being located so near the Exchange I'm serviced by an E/O line so I was quite pessimistic about getting fibre any time soon. However about 2 weeks ago I was quite excited to see a rectangular hole had appeared in the pavement directly outside the Exchange and since then a single green cabinet (telecoms not FTTC) has appeared, which two contractors have been busy wiring up (lots of wires!) for the last week or so and also running some ducting through to the Exchange.

I have read previously about some Exchanges having cabinets fitted outside to service E/O lines. What I don't understand here is why only a single telecoms cabinet has been put in. Should a FTTC cabinet also not have gone in beside it as it cannot be located inside the Exchange I believe? Alternatively can a telecoms cabinet be connected to a distant FTTC cabinet? Out of interest does anyone know how the two cabinets are actually connected? From what I can see after a quick walk around the nearest one currently is approx 250m+ away...!

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 23:08:44
Print Post

Re: New cabinet outside my Exchange

[re: sceptic101] [link to this post]

The FTTC cabinet is normally within 50 metres of cable from the PCP. I think the maximum is 100 metres of cable.

I have something at the back of my mind about there being some combined cabs now, for this sort of setup where there may not be a lot of lines. I could be wrong.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User sceptic101
(newbie) Tue 22-Jul-14 23:27:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK thanks that's interesting then as I don't see a FTTC cabinet anywhere near that close. The shiny new cabinet they have been wiring up looks exactly like THIS one BTW...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jul-14 23:28:09
Print Post

Combined cabs would be the pole mounted mini cabs which are not in the wild yet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jul-14 23:33:48
Print Post

Not that unusual for the phone cabinet to appear some weeks or months ahead of a fibre twin - that is if this to move EO lines to a cabinet. The BT Wholesale checker may show a cabinet number probably P10 once FTTC gets closer, if it is to do FTTC for some of the EO lines.

The fibre and phone cabinets are connected by tie pairs, which are bundles of phone lines, with the fibre cabinet wired so that when they connect you to FTTC they only have to open the phone cabinet.

Cabinet 3 on the exchange might be lucky to get FTTP too. The plans though are always fluid, so it is a case of watching out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sceptic101
(newbie) Wed 23-Jul-14 00:00:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks that sounds quite encouraging then. I would have thought it would be more cost effective at least fit both cabinets at the same time! From what I could see planning wise there is only a single cabinet, see HERE. I think the cabinet they have fitted is labeled as 10... Would there be any other reason to suddenly fit a cabinet outside an exchange than to serve EO lines for FTTC?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Jul-14 00:35:47
Print Post

Have you got a photo of it you could upload somewhere please? That says "Notice of intention to install 1no. BT Openreach high speed broadband cabinet". Not a phone cabinet.

Might there have been an earlier one for that?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 23-Jul-14 00:37:00)

Standard User sceptic101
(newbie) Wed 23-Jul-14 00:54:54
Print Post

I don't have a photo of it but I have posted a link to a photo of an indentical looking cabinet ealier in this thread. The planning notice is confusing as I found another notice for the same proposal description HERE, and this is where they have definitely fitted a FTTC cabinet alongside an existing PCP!
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 23-Jul-14 08:57:02
Print Post

The Fibre cab hasnt been installed yet, thats all.The combined cabs handle up to 128 lines so not always suitable.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Jul-14 09:37:33
Print Post

Exchange has 9 cabs, so using number 10 suggests its for EO.

More efficient, depends on view point, since might mean waiting until both the team that does the phone cabinet and the one doing the fibre cabinets are available on the same date.

The various teams are pretty busy so its a case of if there is a gap fitting in stuff, which is why order of stuff can be odd. Another reason may be new properties in the area, making it sensible to add the cabinet now to handle more lines.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to