General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User agriffiths73
(newbie) Fri 25-Jul-14 09:57:32
Print Post

Re: Cabinet 4, Southam

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Just as a point of clarification - the BT database issue was something I was informed of, in that the DB hadn't been updated. PlusNet continually told me the FTTC service was not available, then once the DB was up to date, the service was then provisioned.

This wasn't me applying pressure to BT, as I have worked with (not for) BT for over 15 years, using their services for my customers, and working on accounts spending in excess of £15M a year with BT, and even at that level, there is no pressure that can be applied to them, so me as a residential subscriber has no hope.

I just checked the availability on my road using the address checker. My neighbour, who connects to a different cabinet shows a line speed in excess of 13Mbp/s - they are less than 100 yards from our house. On the other side, approx. 200 yards closer to the cab, 26Mbp/s.

Put our postcode in on it's own, and the DB shows no one can get FTTC - yet every house on our road shares the same postcode.

So - I could switch, but BT tell me I can't get infinity, PlusNet tell me I can get fibre, yet can't deliver it (it's now down below 2Mbp/s), and OR have told me that our line isn't that long, but it's got a jointing fault and it's Aluminium, and should be copper - this from the provider.

But - since the fault that shows is intermittent, and it's never there when OR show up, they can't see it to report on it and do anything, and BT don't care about their residential customers, and we live in the country, so even less interest.

We have to have a decent connection for the SureSignal, and we have CCTV that records to the Cloud and has to have remote access so I can check from anywhere as I work away a lot, and with the constant errors and degradation in the line speed, despite the report on what our neighbours expect to get, we can't maintain a decent connection, so I think I will have to escalate this in BT to get someone who can make a decision to order the line replacement job, and stop wasting time and money sending engineers out on visits resulting in nothing being done.

Putting a shed at the end of the field isn't a viable option, as I'd need to connect power to it too - and that would not be an easy thing to do because of the usage of the field, and the cable may get ploughed up.

The cable leaving our house will need to be moved within the next three months anyway when we get the footings dug for the new building, so it will need to be done anyway, so there will be a cost to it regardless, but not one to be borne by us.

Better off on dialup
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Jul-14 10:53:51
Print Post

[re: agriffiths73] [link to this post]

NOTE: Using just postcodes in the checkers is known to give odd results and is NOT recommended. People suggest

1. Use phone number if you have a WLR based line
OR
2. The full address i.e. house number, street and postcode.

NOTE: The fact that the other house was on a different cabinet was not conveyed previously, and it may simply be that the cabinet is closer. Also while the checker shows 26 Mbps, what range does it give, it is possible the checker may being optimistic and the range is 12 to 26 Mbps

BT Retail don't sell Infinity to people who are likely to get below 15 Mbps, the retailers choice, they will connect but sell you a differently named product with the proviso you are aware that it will not be superfast. PlusNet have no mechanism like this.

Before FTTC how did you do the SureSignal and CCTV?

Of course another option is a second line running FTTC and put CCTV onto that as a dedicated line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User agriffiths73
(newbie) Fri 25-Jul-14 11:46:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
NOTE: Using just postcodes in the checkers is known to give odd results and is NOT recommended. People suggest - Understood and agreed.

1. Use phone number if you have a WLR based line - I have done this by looking up the phone numbers of the neighbouring properties to get a closer view of the speed.OR

2. The full address i.e. house number, street and postcode. - Yes, accepted and agreed, and this is what I did when looking up the details.

NOTE: The fact that the other house was on a different cabinet was not conveyed previously, and it may simply be that the cabinet is closer. Also while the checker shows 26 Mbps, what range does it give, it is possible the checker may being optimistic and the range is 12 to 26 Mbps

The point about the other house was a reference point in that on the postcode check , no house can get FTTC, on the address they can, but the speeds for my house an the one right next to me are very low, but the house on the other side, connected to another cab, which is further than the one I'm connected to, is 10 to 13Mbp/s - the range for the other houses connecting to the same cab as me is between 13.6 and 26.2Mbp/s - so, if I were connected to the pole on the other side of my house (same measured distance to the one I'm currently connected to, but shorter line distance to the cab - yes, I have measure this) I should be able to get a faster connection

BT Retail don't sell Infinity to people who are likely to get below 15 Mbps, the retailers choice, they will connect but sell you a differently named product with the proviso you are aware that it will not be superfast. PlusNet have no mechanism like this. - Understood and agreed, Faster Broadband as the product, as their 'SLA' for Infinity is 15Mbp/s + whereas PlusNet only have fibre or non fibre product names

Before FTTC how did you do the SureSignal and CCTV? - CCTV only went in after FTTC was installed, and we have always had the SS, but it's effectiveness has been impaired, and voice quality was poor, but better than no signal at all

Of course another option is a second line running FTTC and put CCTV onto that as a dedicated line.

How, if it's not showing as available smile

Better off on dialup

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Jul-14 23:45:16
Print Post

[re: agriffiths73] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by agriffiths73:
Putting a shed at the end of the field isn't a viable option, as I'd need to connect power to it too - and that would not be an easy thing to do because of the usage of the field, and the cable may get ploughed up.

The cable leaving our house will need to be moved within the next three months anyway when we get the footings dug for the new building, so it will need to be done anyway, so there will be a cost to it regardless, but not one to be borne by us.

You don't need a shed and you don't need a power cable run in, and if you use a wireless system you wouldn't even need a data cable, all could be mounted on a pole out of the way.

You need a suitable size cabinet for whatever equipment you plan to use and to house a battery, either a large truck battery or a liesure battery (used on motorhomes) should be suitable. If the equipment is not 12v then you can use a 12v to 240v invertor, small ones are pretty cheap from Maplins (my drivers use them in the trucks), better quality is available elsewhere. Hook up a suitable solar charging array on a pole (again pretty cheap). Yes it will add up to a fair bit, but it could be done cheaply just to see if it works. You need to verify power draw, and the abilty of the solar charging, and capacity of the battery but it should be do-able.

The other option is to have the telephone point in the corner of your land and use much thicker suitable cable to make a long data extension.

If you're digging up the existing telephone line I'll be willing to bet that BT will want you to pay to move it/replace it.

It may also be worth talking to some local telephone engineers, ask if there are any spare lines, if you ordered a new line for your barn BT may need to run a new one in for instance, just a thought.

Whilst I sympathize with you entirly, having to battle with BT myself a few years ago I think you are facing a big battle to get them to replace the line. My brother had a problem with his broadband, due to a shortage of lines - the engineer said all the spare lines in his road were shot, but BT would not replace them, this was in the middle of a built up area, in the end they managed to find one that worked, but took 3 months with no broadband.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to