General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lektroluxe
(newbie) Sat 26-Jul-14 09:35:37
Print Post

Why is this section called fibre broadband?

[link to this post]

It seems to me this section mainly consists of VDSL roadside cabinet based DSL products and in reality there are not actually any fibre services available to the general public. As far as I can tell Ftth is pie in the sky!

It seems odd that a semi technical site thinkbroadband would call them fibre services when they clearly are not?

You have to remember it's just the adverts saying it's fibre. There is no fibre there!!! It would make no difference to the user if fibre went to a cabinet or an exchange if it does not go all the way to their property.

Even cable servcies do not have fibre either. They normally use co-axial cable in a simmilar way to DSL by sending a radio signal over the copper wire. Cable co-ax is much better than BT's twisted pair at running over distance though but it still aint fibre!!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 26-Jul-14 10:10:30
Print Post

Re: Why is this section called fibre broadband?

[re: lektroluxe] [link to this post]

It's not even broadband.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Sat 26-Jul-14 10:59:14
Print Post

I currently have ADSL Max with a speed around 6 Mbps, once FTTC is enabled I should get the full speed of 76 Mbps.. that is a huge difference.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Sat 26-Jul-14 11:16:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by lektroluxe:
It would make no difference to the user if fibre went to a cabinet or an exchange if it does not go all the way to their property.

What absolute rot! (As the post from astateoftrance demonstrates.)
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Jul-14 11:17:37
Print Post

You have to remember it's just the adverts saying it's fibre.
And you have to remember that for most people that's all they know. This isn't just a 'technical site'. It's a site that offers support and advice for the general public. For better or for worse the general public think that FTTC is 'fibre broadband'.

If you want the kind of elitist technical site that refuses to follow accepted common nomenclature you'll have to look elsewhere. We accept and (occasionally, if appropriate) advise of the validity wink

It would make no difference to the user if fibre went to a cabinet or an exchange
Now you're just being silly. I went from 13Mb/s with once a month reconnects to 67Mb/s with no reconnects.

I do agree (as would most of us) that it's a shame that fibre is mentioned. However there is most definitely a difference(*) so some distinction has to be made and if the general public has been taught to call it fibre broadband we have to accept that.

(*)Both in end-user experience and in the behind the scenes politics and economics of the roll-out.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 26-Jul-14 11:53:03)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Jul-14 11:19:51
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

* Deleted *

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 26-Jul-14 11:21:55)

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Sat 26-Jul-14 11:29:10
Print Post

As already mention, its called Fibre Broadband because some don't know as much as some...

I agree its not Fibre Broadband... Its just superfast broadband but that was used in ADSL selling so when FTTP starts being advertised it will probably be called something like diamond broadband or something.

I do think speed is irrelevant here as some FTTC customer haves seen their FTTC give them a meg more than their ADSL...

Simple answer, its quick and convenient and serves its purpose.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Jul-14 11:57:46
Print Post

I wonder if your other two posts were similarly 'external male genitalia'?

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sat 26-Jul-14 11:58:51)

Standard User cajef
(experienced) Sat 26-Jul-14 11:57:48
Print Post

. As far as I can tell Ftth is pie in the sky!

Not necessarily some areas of the country have FTTP/FTTH, I have had FTTP for over twelve months.

PlusNet FTTP Unlimited
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 26-Jul-14 12:00:54
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I think we are clear enough in the forum description.

If we stuck to ANSI/ITU engineering definitions for everything site would be empty and public would be confused. We do much more correction and promotion of the differences that other outlets.

Of course cannot please everyone.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to