General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hopkapi
(regular) Mon 28-Jul-14 16:31:43
Print Post

FTTC date majorly slipped, anything I can do?

[link to this post]

Seeing as my cabinet upgrade date has majorly slipped (from the end of May to the end of December), I was wondering if there's:

1. Any way to find out why the date has slipped.
2. Anything I can do to help speed things up.
3. Any chance that my apartment building's amazing proximity to the exchange could possibly open the door to FTTP/FTTdp trials.

Brindley House
101 Newhall Street
Birmingham
B3 1LJ

Exchange: Central (CMCEN)
Cabinet: 25 - Pretty sure it's actually a comms room in my building, which is ex-BT. Am happy to bug the building management etc. if they're the issue.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jul-14 16:35:13
Print Post

Re: FTTC date majorly slipped, anything I can do?

[re: hopkapi] [link to this post]

Best bet is to check the building manager and find out if they know more, or can confirm if cabinet in the building

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(newbie) Mon 28-Jul-14 18:39:39
Print Post

Just did a check with all info that is available to the public and I found the following:

Well it seems that Cabinet 25 only supports 3 post codes supporting 2 apartment blocks for NEWHALL STREET, BIRMINGHAM and FLEET STREET, BIRMINGHAM.

Those apartment blocks have the BT Wholesale site confused resulting in two lots of the same address, one lot down for FTTC and the other saying it needs to have a phone number so there maybe some issues.

It does say that address in that apartment block listed as APARTMENT xxxx etc requires the phone number however addresses listed as APT xxxx is down for FTTC I assume that your near the cabinets due to the speeds are nice smile
So maybe one of the copies are the old version of them.

What got me confused was back in in 2011 in the COUGH leaked PCP docs COUGH it had that cabinet 25 down as FTTP and now its FTTC so maybe it was more viable to have it changed to FTTC which have seen happen in a few locations, better to have FTTC than no fibre at all, or maybe they are all listed as FTTP be default.
Also did a check on your exchange and it seems that it only supports FTTC and no FTTP so that was probably why it was changed to FTTC.

So no FTTP or the FTTPod, only FTTC for now, maybe your exchange will be upgraded to FTTP later on..
Maybe that contributed to the delay?

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 28-Jul-14 18:42:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 28-Jul-14 19:10:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I suspect the cabinet has been put on hold indefinitely due to no suitable location
Standard User B31
(learned) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:49:49
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Didn't Brindley House belong to BT before it was converted to apartments?

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User hopkapi
(regular) Tue 29-Jul-14 00:23:36
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
I suspect the cabinet has been put on hold indefinitely due to no suitable location

*cries*

Is it likely to be an issue of not having enough space in the comms room for the equipment, or do Openreach only install equipment on the street?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 29-Jul-14 08:03:35
Print Post

It won't go next to frame in the building basement. They will be looking to site it outside.
Standard User hopkapi
(regular) Sat 02-Aug-14 00:04:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Best bet is to check the building manager and find out if they know more, or can confirm if cabinet in the building

While the building manager is currently on holiday, I checked with the concierge and it does indeed seem to be inside the building, though he didn't have any idea about fibre/upgrades. Is there any way I can get an answer from Openreach themselves these days? I know NGA enquires is dead but the absurdity of the situation (the slipped date + the exchange proximity) is driving me a little nuts.

I assume your old sticky having disappeared/you not having replied to the rfs-delay email I sent you in May means that whatever avenue you were using before is now closed too?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Aug-14 08:53:25
Print Post

Ribble has replied a couple of times to you in this thread and I suspect that what he posted is what Openreach would have told you.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 02-Aug-14 09:55:52
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Wall mounted frame in the basement, duct to footway box outside front of building.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to