General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Toffe3m4n
(newbie) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:50:57
Print Post

Are BT trying to con my Dad?

[link to this post]

Hey guys. Long story short, BT recently got in touch with us over the phone to offer us one of their Broadband packages. My Dad isn't the most savvy when it comes to internet architecture and with us being on an ADSL2+ line he's even more confused over how it all works, because it's usually me who deals with anything broadband related.

Anyway, they got onto the subject of the fibre rollout and whilst they confirmed that our exchange is due for fibre in September (Scarisbrick) they went on to say that an installation can usually happen "within 6-8 weeks of an exchange being upgraded". They also stated that "existing BT customers would always get priority on fibre installations when they become available."

My two questions are this:

1) Are they trying to insinuate that our cabinet (Cabinet 3) will also be upgraded in that 6-8 week period directly following the installation of fibre at the exchange? The last time I asked about my cabinet on these forums I was informed by your helpful members that no date(s) for my cabinet had even been set - is this still the case?

2) The whole "priority" thing didn't make sense to me - are BT using this line to try and dupe people who are uneducated on the matter or is there actually some truth in this?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 28-Jul-14 22:08:59
Print Post

Re: Are BT trying to con my Dad?

[re: Toffe3m4n] [link to this post]

Just punting for a sale. Neither are true
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Jul-14 22:33:55
Print Post

[re: Toffe3m4n] [link to this post]

Ofcom would like to hear about that call.

BT should not be able to get priority over any other ISP. FTTC is an Openreach product and available to all Openreach Wholesale providers, which BT is one.

It may be true that others are slower to be available for example if TalkTalk or Sky need a new GEA Cable Link because this exchange/cabinet is connected back to a new GEA node.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kronos2001
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Jul-14 00:35:07
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Could easily be interpreted as meaning BT Broadband customers have priority install for their upgrade over new customers signing up for BT Infinity. I can't say if this is true or not.

In my case I ordered my upgrade two days after it became available on my cabinet. The install was made one week later. I ordered on 1st April and the install happened on 8th April.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Jul-14 02:00:44
Print Post

[re: Kronos2001] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kronos2001:
Could easily be interpreted as meaning BT Broadband customers have priority install for their upgrade over new customers signing up for BT Infinity. I can't say if this is true or not.
That was my first thought, but it is very unlikely. Every company I have known, in several industries, prioritises getting new customers in over upgrading existing ones. In the specific case of FTTC they can easily cope with doing both on any specific cabinet.

I reckon it's just a rogue salesman, possibly not even a direct BT employee.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jul-14 11:48:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Your dad should tell BT salesman "U have misleading me, conned me with all lies talk. So, I decide to cancel with BT, I want mac code please". End of!

Edited by adslmax (Tue 29-Jul-14 11:49:03)

Print Thread

Jump to