General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Thu 31-Jul-14 22:05:53
Print Post

FTTC/Market 1

[link to this post]

I am on a market 1 exchange with no LLU, should have FTTC next spring. Just curious what ISP's I would be able to get once it is available, like how about Sky or Talk Talk ?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 31-Jul-14 22:11:59
Print Post

Re: FTTC/Market 1

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

Neither I'm afraid frown, unless they LLU it by then.

All other ISPs that offer BT Wholesale based FTTC. It's fine! Just not quite as cheap as the bottom end Sky and TT offerings. Their top end ones aren't cheap.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Jul-14 22:31:29
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
I am on a market 1 exchange with no LLU, should have FTTC next spring. Just curious what ISP's I would be able to get once it is available, like how about Sky or Talk Talk ?

Don't assume the FTTC goes to your exchange. Its quite possible that Openreach will run the fibres to another nearby exchange - so you would have to ask Sky and Talk Talk directly once your phone number shows fibre available on the BT wholesale checker. (link on the front page of this site).

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 31-Jul-14 23:02:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

AIUI Sky do not provide FTTC at exchanges they have not LLU'ed even if the fibre headend is LLU'ed, because the customer would not be able to have LLU phone. I'm fairly sure the same applies to TalkTalk.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Fri 01-Aug-14 08:47:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok, thanks.

That's a shame. Not sure if I would go with them but it's always good to have the choice.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 15:28:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Dragging up an old thread since a relative is getting FTTC soon on a Market 1 exchange.

On a different Market 1 exchange to theirs, TalkTalk refused to offer any products for sale, fibre or ADSL. Interestingly however, although Sky refused to offer ADSL, it was happy to offer fibre. Even better, the price is the same as on their LLU exchanges, including the new £10 fibre product.

So it does look like Sky is offering fibre on Market 1 exchanges.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Dec-14 16:31:03
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

It is not that exchange is market 1, it depends on where the fibre handover is and willingness of an ISP to use WLR for voice.

Or it was the case that Sky LLU was available but TalkTalk not, which can happen.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 17:05:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
It is not that exchange is market 1, it depends on where the fibre handover is and willingness of an ISP to use WLR for voice.

Well the second point comes as a result of the exchange being Market 1, i.e. Sky not having their own equipment in the exchange.

Or it was the case that Sky LLU was available but TalkTalk not, which can happen.

I can't imagine that Sky withdrew ADSL for sale if the exchange has Sky LLU. If Sky has started to replace ADSL availability with fibre, that would be an interesting news story in itself.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Dec-14 17:12:07
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Did not say Sky have withdrawn ADSL. Market 1 definitions are so out of date they can be wrong for many exchanges.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 17:20:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Did not say Sky have withdrawn ADSL. Market 1 definitions are so out of date they can be wrong for many exchanges.

Then in that case the Sky availability checker should have offered both FTTC and ADSL, and not just FTTC.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to