General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dmn1981
(newbie) Sat 02-Aug-14 09:29:22
Print Post

Fibre at my new home, how can i get a definitive answer?

[link to this post]

Good Morning,

I hope someone can help me with this, so here's my question.

I am currently a TalkTalk Fibre large customer, and will be moving to a new house in about 4 weeks. The new house is brand new on a new development, just around the corner from where I am now, probably less than half a mile.

I have been trying to check if I will be able to get Fibre once I've moved, but I'm getting a no from TalkTalk and also the BT and Sky broadband checkers on their websites. However, the reason I am querying this is because....

I have checked on SamKnows for my current house, and 2 exchanges come up, both of which are fibre enabled (not sure which im connected to though!), when I do the same check for my new house's postcode, no exchanges come up, therefore, I can only assume that TalkTalk, BT and Sky say no, because maybe they don't know which exchange I am going to be connected to?

I know that the local cabinets also need to be enabled, so that is also something I need to check somehow...?

Seeing as the new house is probably 600-700 meters as the crow fly's from my current house, I am assuming I will be connected to the same telephone exchange as I am now, and it may be just the cabinet that could be my hurdle??

Does anyone know, how I can get a definitive answer before I actually move??

Thanks,

dmn1981

Edited by dmn1981 (Sat 02-Aug-14 09:30:16)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 02-Aug-14 09:52:18
Print Post

Re: Fibre at my new home, how can i get a definitive answer?

[re: dmn1981] [link to this post]

Using the post code only is notoriously inaccurate, which is which it can't pin point the exchange.
Try using the address in https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
If that fails then the development may not recorded yet or have any bt line plant.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Aug-14 10:01:57
Print Post

I'm sure this is quite common with new-build houses.

The battle is probably one of postcode (almost certainly you'll have a brand new postcode - has it even been allocated yet - before I moved into my new-build property I was given a postcode which placed me in a village, outside of town, when I moved in, it was a completely different postcode which placed me, correctly, inside the town boundary).

Then it's a phone number thing... If you're keeping your current number, the BT database results will be irrelevant (because your number hasn't been moved across yet).
If you're taking a new number, it won't be live yet and may well change anyway (BT have a habit of giving you a number different to the one they confirmed after you placed the order).

The ISPs will rely on the BT database and if that hasn't been updated to include the new postcodes and new cabinets (if the development is large enough, it'll probably have its own cabinets).
There's probably little you can do until you get a live phone line (in the new house) and BT update their database (doesn't normally take too long for new numbers).

You're probably worrying too much about this (unless the new homes will be on a new cabinet; then you'll have to wait for BT to enable it for fibre - took them two years to remember one down the road from me, even though mine was enabled on day 1 of the exchange being enabled).

There is probably zero you can do (until your postcode and/or new number are live on the database), unless you can get BT to do a simultaneous phone and broadband provide (and then, they'll only be able to provide FTTC if the new cabinet has already been enabled)

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Aug-14 12:10:30
Print Post

Would you still move there even if you can't get fibre?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Sat 02-Aug-14 12:36:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Would you still move there even if you can't get fibre?

You're beginning to sound like somebody else..........lol
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Aug-14 12:52:20
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

?
The reason for asking was that if FTTC is not critical to the move then he can relax. If it is critical then he has a big problem.

I've no idea who the "someone else" may be.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Aug-14 12:56:16
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

That's if the cabinet serving the new development is or does become enabled. If it's a new cabinet it may be deemed not "commercially viable" for FTTC unless it is a huge estate.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Aug-14 13:00:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And even if commercially viable no firm timescales as the resources are concentrated on the BDUK areas for now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User delone
(experienced) Sat 02-Aug-14 14:59:10
Print Post

Have you asked the house builder if they have had any contact with BT on broadband provision?

Del
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sat 02-Aug-14 17:52:21
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

the tell tale sign will be if the development has not engaged with openreach around fibrre (no obligation for developer to do that) and the developement is in excess of 100 premiues and the dveloper has only requested voice services you are likley to find a new copper Cabinet at the entrance to the development -- if there a high changce that is not covered either by Commrcail programme (or BDUK prgoramme if there is one in your area)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to