General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stuchad
(committed) Sun 03-Aug-14 10:11:15
Print Post

Upload speed dropping

[link to this post]

Folks

Looking for guidance as I am a fibre newbie. I've read a few threads on here about profile resets etc but not sure if it's appropriate.

From day 1 of fibre, for the first couple of weeks, I was getting about 37Mb down and 18 Mb up and was very happy. I then went on holiday for 10 days and my next speed test on my return shows 37Mb down but only 9.5Mb up. It's now been around these numbers for a few days. So it seems my upload speeds have halved whilst my download is solid.

My ISP says estimates for my line are 30Mb and 6.6Mb so therefore no fault so therefore nothing I can do. However, when I was on ADSL, I always had a much lower estimate than the reality of what I achieved so, sorry, but I take the estimates with some degree of doubt. My line is, and always has been, rock solid with no drops/disconnects, syncing solidly for days/weeks at 8Mb when ADSL. Given this, I think line quality and distance should be considered acceptable to support fast speeds.

All my speed tests are being done from the same computer (Mac), hard-wired into my router. I have done a test where I have plugged the Mac directly into the OR model - same numbers.

One thing that does spring to mind is that there were thunderstorms during the period of my holiday. Could they have affected things?

Also, it's a new cabinet and it had only been 'available' for about 24 hours when I ordered it, so had been live for 2 weeks when I had it installed at my house.

Any views? Is there a fault? Should I be getting an engineer?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sun 03-Aug-14 10:19:09
Print Post

Re: Upload speed dropping

[re: stuchad] [link to this post]

Could be an effect of thunderstorms or maybe crosstalk from other new connections. If the former it may recover, if the latter it may get worse. Time will tell I guess
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Aug-14 10:39:42
Print Post

Any connection speed information?

Are you on a 40/10 or 80/20 product?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 11:59:56
Print Post

Plusnet?

What date (exactly) did you sign up, and what date was the FTTC connected. This could be to do with your specific product, as they have recently changed. It's too complex to explain quickly but given those dates I might be able to work out what has happened, explain and advise.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User stuchad
(committed) Sun 03-Aug-14 12:02:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As I said, newbie so your question confused me a little because I thought I was on a 40/20-type product. Am I on an 80/20 product but limited to 40/20 in some way?

I'll tell you what I know.

I'm on PlusNet. When I ordered fibre, they said my cabinet is only enabled for 40Mb at this stage so they couldn't put me on their 80Mb product. But looking at their website it says "Up to 38Mb download speeds / Up to 19.5Mb upload speeds" - so I was deffo getting this at the start. Even now they're saying I should be getting between 7Mb and 15Mb upload according to their line speed tests.
Standard User stuchad
(committed) Sun 03-Aug-14 12:05:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, PlusNet.

Cabinet went live about 19th June. I ordered on 20th June and got it installed on 2nd July. Speeds started to drop after 2 weeks, but hard to tell exact date because I was on holiday.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Aug-14 12:09:13
Print Post

The 40/20 service is an 80/20 openreach service throttled to 40 on the downstream

My suspicion is that upstream side was re jigged to have a 10 Meg limit.

Connection speeds from a modem might help decipher

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 12:17:33
Print Post

I'm suddenly in a rush, so can't check the date the 40/20 came out. You may have ordered the 40/10 allowance product and accidentally have been initially provisioned on the new unlimited 40/20. Then it got picked up and altered.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 12:59:06
Print Post

Right. I've checked the new product date, which is 10 June. So you are definitely on the latest.

Both the current fibre products are provisioned on (up to) 80/20, with the 40mbps one capped to have a maximum 40mbps downstream. There should be no capping of the upstream, whatever the estimate was.

Just to confirm they haven't been really naughty, (which sometimes they were on the previous products), please can you run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, then from the initial results page go to the Further Diagnostics page and check both the downstream and upstream IP Profiles. Post those for us please. You can ignore all the red instructions at the beginning of the test.

Standard User stuchad
(committed) Sun 03-Aug-14 14:06:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
38 Mbps

0 Mbps 47.73 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 38 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 33.41 Mbps-47.73 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 47.73 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
9.5 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.5Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to