General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gh22
(newbie) Sun 03-Aug-14 12:55:17
Print Post

BT Vectoring

[link to this post]

Does anyone know the possibility of BT doing vectoring anytime soon?

I know they are doing phase 2 trials, but is there anything that would prevent a roll out?

Is their DSLAM equipment vectoring capable? Does it need line card swaps or new kit? I know they have Huawei and ECI DSLAMs and heard that the M41 ECI's would have to be upgraded to V41s.

Also are there any other limitations like CPE issues? Are existing CPE Vectoring capable?

Thanks!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Aug-14 16:33:33
Print Post

Re: BT Vectoring

[re: gh22] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gh22:
Is their DSLAM equipment vectoring capable? Does it need line card swaps or new kit? I know they have Huawei and ECI DSLAMs and heard that the M41 ECI's would have to be upgraded to V41s.

That's all I've read.

Also are there any other limitations like CPE issues? Are existing CPE Vectoring capable?

I think the ECI bFocus and the Huawei HG612 are both capable CPE's but there are still questions around third party (e.g. TalkTalk, EE, Sky and BT's routers) - and the implications of someone using a non vectoring aware router on a line in the middle of a vector bundle. Does everyone suffer?

Vectoring may show that "wires only installs" was a mistake, and using the Openreach supplied modems should have been always the case. That would have made Openreach's job much easier for upgrades.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 16:42:25
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

With the OR modems posted out by the ISP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Aug-14 16:57:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
With the OR modems posted out by the ISP.

Yes that would have worked, and reduced the cost, but kept the compatibility. I think this is how DSL works in the USA - but in the USA you only generally get a handful of DSL providers in an area, as there is no wholesale network equivalent.

Trying to have "certified" modems (e.g. BABT green sticker equivalent!), and suchlike is the road to chaos. Ethernet should be used as the industry standard interface and end users will have to put up with having two boxes.

15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 17:33:15
Print Post

But OR will make money from certifying them and save money by not supplying modems tongue.

I expect word will get out, or a list of tested/supported kit will emerge.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Aug-14 05:50:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Vectoring may show that "wires only installs" was a mistake, and using the Openreach supplied modems should have been always the case. That would have made Openreach's job much easier for upgrades.

ISP supplied kit has to support vectoring to be qualified for use with the Openreach network.

OP - Openreach are running at their usual glacial pace. It will get done when they can be bothered and the group have some cash spare from buying footie games for BTSport. (I call them BTCoins, each one being the cost to BT of rights and production of a single match.).

The business case for vectoring isn't the strongest and in some cases gets more expensive still - sites where there are 2 DSLAMs, something that probably shouldn't have happened, need a little more work. I am aware of one site which has an ECI and a Huawei serving a single PCP. Should be fun.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Aug-14 07:17:53
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
ISP supplied kit has to support vectoring to be qualified for use with the Openreach network.

Yes, the ISPs can be worked with, but now its essentially "wires only" (ie, I didn't take the PN router) there is zero control of what is sold and connected to the lines. Just like ADSL.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Aug-14 07:44:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

Yes, the ISPs can be worked with, but now its essentially "wires only" (ie, I didn't take the PN router) there is zero control of what is sold and connected to the lines. Just like ADSL.

Just like xDSL everywhere. Even without wires only people were still using their own kit.

Compatibility issues are nothing disabling ports connected to non-compliant kit won't cure. The SIN is quite specific regarding what is required.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 04-Aug-14 08:46:07
Print Post

I be surprised if openreach start turning port's off, maybe they will have an automatic system that cuts a port off if it detects vectoring failure, but if they don't I don't think they will bother manually doing it. But hopefully I am wrong.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Aug-14 10:44:38
Print Post

If Openreach did it the way Japan and South Korea has done in the past with xDSL variations then we would expect there to be a massed outcry as they react and tweak settings to cure the issues.

Left hand up for a national try it and see effort i.e. modern version 1.0 beta software release
Right hand up for a slow but measured engineering approach

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to