General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Garlic
(newbie) Sun 03-Aug-14 15:44:42
Print Post

cabling master socket & fibre.

[link to this post]

Hi. I'm currently using my adsl on an extension socket (bt branded fascia in some places) some 30 feet from the master at the other end of the house. I really want to continue using broadband from this location but as I understand it fibre has to be connected to the master socket not an extension. Fibre in my area looks to be below 40Mb so I won't get an engineer will I - it will be self install? Do any of the ISPs still send an engineer out with the install for 40Mb who would be able to run a data extension cable (for no extra cost) or am I going to have to pay BT £130 to come and do the job? [I could at a push cat5 cable from the master to the extension but doesn't the router need to be as close to the master as practically possible? [The router can't be at the master as the wifi is complete a dead zone.]

Hope someone can offer a solution!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 16:34:15
Print Post

Re: cabling master socket & fibre.

[re: Garlic] [link to this post]

I think only BT and Sky do self-install so far. I'd be surprised if they don't offer the data extension cable any more, (which would cause an engineer install), but perhaps they don't.

You have two or three other possible solutions.

Plusnet do engineer install by default, and the free data extension cable (Home Wiring Solution) installation is an option in the order process. It would be a modem and separate router.

If you put CAT 5 in place beforehand, with a bit of spare at each end, then that is as good as the data extension cable and the engineer should be happy to connect it up. You would still need to order the data extension cable, to make sure the wiring job is on the task sheet. It depends who you think will do a neater cabling job, you or a professional. I'd choose the engineer.

That would put both the modem and router where the extension is now.

The second way, if you are happy with it, is to have a bog standard installation, with the modem where the master is. It's the modem position that matters, not the router. Then run an Ethernet cable using CAT 5 up to where the extension is and put an Ethernet socket there for the router. Best practice is also to put an Ethernet socket near the modem and use a short patch lead between the two.

This second method could also be used on a self-install from Sky, BT or whichever, where usually a modem/router is supplied. You would need to buy an HG612 Openreach modem off eBay.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Aug-14 16:59:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
This second method could also be used on a self-install from Sky, BT or whichever, where usually a modem/router is supplied. You would need to buy an HG612 Openreach modem off eBay.

This is the best method to get the best / most reliable speeds. Modem at master socket, ethernet to router.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User troublegum
(learned) Sun 03-Aug-14 17:03:25
Print Post

It depends how many other working extensions you have got/need and whether you are competent enough to do this, but it would be simple enough to convert the extension you are currently using into the master as a DIY job.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 17:29:45
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Illegal of course, but yes.

The problem with that is that he may as well just use the extension in the first place, which could be on cruddy cabling, so long as he has the ring wire disconnected at the master.

The whole point of the way it is done on an engineer install, or as I described, is to eliminate the existing wiring, as even CW1308 is not good on VDSL2, never mind some of the stuff that builders or house wiring electricians sometimes install. Good wiring is more important than on ADSLx.

This is one of the factors covered by the "impacted" estimates once people are all doing self-installs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Sun 03-Aug-14 17:57:33
Print Post

If an engineer comes to the install he could connect the incoming line directly to the cabling that serves extension socket and place new master socket where extension is now. and then you could just buy a blanking plate for old master socket location.

Do be aware that there is a very small chance you could lose some sync speed doing this but I've done it in a lot of new builds on countless occasions and never lost any sync speeds.. on most occasions increased it.

All depends on your setup type though, all new builds I go to have had the telephone cabling installed already and just activated at the exchange, you might have a setup where it was installed by BT or Openreach and an extension stapled along skirting..

Either way my suggestion should work either way.

Hope I helped and didn't confuse you.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 18:03:00
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Do be aware that there is a very small chance you could lose some sync speed doing this but I've done it in a lot of new builds on countless occasions and never lost any sync speeds.. on most occasions increased it.
On VDSL2?

Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Sun 03-Aug-14 18:37:01
Print Post

Unfortunately not yet no,

though do know someone who had openreach do it on theirs and no problems are known.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 03-Aug-14 18:59:45
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

There was a post not long ago, but I don't remember the details. For instance, if cable 20 metres from the cabinet it wouldn't matter. Or if is was a new-build with builder-installed Cat 5. I think there was one of those as well.

Don't forget, the fact that this thread exists is because the OP clearly want to optimise his line. He isn't worried about getting a connection, but in it being as good as it can be compatible with having his router where his ADSLx modem/router is smile.

Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Sun 03-Aug-14 19:05:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
He isn't worried about getting a connection, but in it being as good as it can be compatible with having his router where his ADSLx modem/router is smile.

I understand this and that is why I'm suggesting the joining of incoming line to the extension so that he has no extensions and just the master socket where he currently has his ADSLx router/modem plugged in,

Meaning he would have the a NTE Master where his extension is instead of a extension socket.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to