General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User urbanmac
(regular) Mon 04-Aug-14 12:12:57
Print Post

Worth Swapping the HH5 for a VDSL modem?

[link to this post]

Got a HH5 which regularly drops out, every few days the connection goes for a few minutes and then comes back, 3 times over the weekend.

Would it be better to swap the HH5 for a VDSL modem (puls router) If so which one? HG612 or ECI[r]v2

Also would this make any difference to my speed as it has slowly gone down I believe to crosstalk but it may just be the DLM profile due to the dropping of the connection.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 04-Aug-14 12:22:13
Print Post

Re: Worth Swapping the HH5 for a VDSL modem?

[re: urbanmac] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by urbanmac:
Got a HH5 which regularly drops out, every few days the connection goes for a few minutes and then comes back, 3 times over the weekend.

Would it be better to swap the HH5 for a VDSL modem (puls router) If so which one? HG612 or ECI[r]v2

Also would this make any difference to my speed as it has slowly gone down I believe to crosstalk but it may just be the DLM profile due to the dropping of the connection.

Who knows?

If your HH5 is faulty then a swap out will sort the problem. If the cause is something like external noise then a swap may not solve it. If you can borrow another HH5 or a modem - try it and see what happens.

You could get a better sync speed with a separate modem or it could be worse! I have both HG612 and ECI - there is a difference of around 3Mbps ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Aug-14 13:51:37
Print Post

Are you certain it is the line dropping out and not the local network device connecting to the router? I only ask as on the HH5 I used to get blips where all the network devices would disconnect and be off for up to a minute before they would then reconnect again - the actual line never went down.

If it is the same issue I had then I did solve it by replacing the router with a modem and my own Billion 7800N. If it is the actual line then it could be a line or router issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Aug-14 13:52:59
Print Post

This could be a faulty router OR a line fault. Perhaps get another HH5 sent out and see if that solves it. If not there's probably a fault somewhere. A VDSL modem may work better, or it may not. Some hardware can handle more noise on the line without dropping, so another modem may 'mask' an issue better. This being said the line should not be dropping with the HH5 in the first place...
Standard User urbanmac
(regular) Mon 04-Aug-14 13:57:32
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I should add I've had two Openreach engineers out and they have checked the line inside and outside of the house, no faults found.

My speed decrease could be crosstalk or it could be the DLM profile due to the HH5 disconnects.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Aug-14 14:07:54
Print Post

When did you get infinity installed?

The drop outs could very well just be DLM doing its business and reducing your speed due to errors. You will get disconnected and reconnected whenever DLM intervenes in this way and this would settle down in time.
Standard User urbanmac
(regular) Mon 04-Aug-14 14:13:15
Print Post

Nearly 3 months ago now.

The first month the speed stayed at a solid 78.2 up and 19.8 down, now its 56.4 up and around 19.2 down.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Aug-14 14:17:00
Print Post

It could just be that more neighbours have signed up, this increases crosstalk and causes the speeds to fall quite significantly. This is why the BT estimates are often quite a bit lower than you get as they take into factors such as crosstalk.

Whilst that settles down you will notice dropouts.

How long have these drop outs been occurring?
I think a best course of action is to try and get the homehub replaced and see if that drops out also.
Most people have no issues using the HH5. I am personally using a HomeHub to type this. I had a few issues with my HH3 and just put it down to the HH not being any good. Finally got it replaced and now everything runs like clockwork.
Standard User urbanmac
(regular) Mon 04-Aug-14 14:20:48
Print Post

Been dropping out for a few weeks now, has become more frequent recently.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Aug-14 20:49:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by urbanmac:
If so which one? HG612 or ECI[r]v2

Get an HG612 from ebay, unlock it, and use one of the monitoring scripts from a PC to record the status. The HH5 works fine on the ethernet WAN port (designed for FTTP users) connected to the modem.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to