General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bdo21
(regular) Sun 10-Aug-14 10:02:33
Print Post

Router for 330Mbps FTTP

[link to this post]

I should have 330Mbps FTTP installed soon and I am wondering what hardware to use to make best use of it. I am keen to use equipment which is reliable as well as fast - I have got a bit fed up of ttplink wireless extenders which seem to need rebooting every so often for me (which frustrates my wife!)

Someone recommended the Cisco RV325 (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/rv325-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router/datasheet-c78-729726.html) given it has the speed and a business grade product will be more reliable. I would need to pair this with wireless access points. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or better suggestions?

Thanks
Standard User panda
(committed) Sun 10-Aug-14 10:22:53
Print Post

Re: Router for 330Mbps FTTP

[re: bdo21] [link to this post]

I've no experience of the RV325, but one consideration is the requirement for PPP can have a great impact on published performance, as datasheets will usually paint the best picture.

This thread has some discussion on the issue and some suggestions for suitable CPE.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 11:10:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by bdo21:
I would need to pair this with wireless access points. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or better suggestions?

You will need N and most likely AC wireless for those speeds. As the other poster said you need to check the throughput of the router with PPPoE active.

Recently the Asus RT-N66U and RT-AC68U had updated software that does PPPoE using hardware acceleration, and I *think* that made the difference, but without this they couldn't get near 300Mbps.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 12:06:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by bdo21:
I should have 330Mbps FTTP installed soon

Going slightly off-topic (hope you don't mind too much) as it's so hard to find information about FTTPoD (e.g. who sells it - it seems BT retail don't - my cabinet's been enabled for ages and BT keep telling me 80Mbps is the highest speed product I can get)...

Are you true FTTP or FTTP on demand?
If FTTPoD how much are they charging you for your fibre install and how far are you from your cab/node?
Who are you going with?
Did you choose them because it was the best of the minute amount of ISPs who seem to sell the product (even BT and their subsidiaries don't seem to be interested in selling it)?
Did you place an online enquiry/order (try as I might, I can't find any ISP that actually seems to sell a 330Mbps product, where you can sign up online), or did you have to call up an ISP and try to make the telephone sales person understand what you mean by FTTP?

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 10-Aug-14 12:55:39
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

If you want more price details on FTTPoD try http://www.gradwell.com/broadband/fttpod/

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 13:03:50
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeah; like anyone's going to pay £200/month for a service that's limited to 500GB a month and has a 3 year minimum contract (and from a provider no one's heard of before) smile and that's before you include the several thousand Pound installation fee!

As a comparison; I can get more than 330Mbps from five FTTC connections...
5 x £125 line install = £625 (one-off cost)
1 x Load-balancing router (maybe a couple of hundred)
5 x £15/month line rental
5 x £26/month Infinity2
= about the same price as a single FTTPoD connection but without the huge installation fee.

Maybe we now know why nobody seems to bother selling FTTPoD... It's far too expensive smile

Ade

DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Aug-14 13:20:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
Maybe we now know why nobody seems to bother selling FTTPoD... It's far too expensive smile
FTTPoD is primarily aimed at businesses where for most the alternative is a far more expensive leased line.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Aug-14 13:25:51
Print Post

Five inputs to a load balancing router?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 13:42:20
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
In reply to a post by adebov:
FTTPoD is primarily aimed at businesses where for most the alternative is a far more expensive leased line.

Which begs the question why it's available on cabs serving housing estates and why BT haven't even enabled cabs for FTTC which serve commercial areas in one of the towns subject to the FTTPoD trials smile

Ade

DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 13:43:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well maybe more than one router (cascading six twin WAN load balancing routers should do the trick smile )

Ade

DL Sync 78Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to