General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jj02
(newbie) Tue 12-Aug-14 16:31:41
Print Post

Noob question - Can I have fibre and adsl at the same time?

[link to this post]

Hello yes I am an idiot.

So a little context, stuck in contract for foreseeable future, want fibre as soon as it becomes available, currently on adsl and phone with 1 company. Can, say, bt install infinity+phone adjacent to my current setup with no problems? We have two adsl sockets on the wall, one active and one doing nothing.

Thanks for any help!
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Tue 12-Aug-14 16:40:28
Print Post

Re: Noob question - Can I have fibre and adsl at the same ti

[re: jj02] [link to this post]

You'd need 2 seperate phone lines.

I suspect the 2 sockets you see are the front of the faceplate, with a filtered phone connection, and unfiltered ADSL connection.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User jj02
(newbie) Tue 12-Aug-14 16:47:24
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

They installed one for digital region, which then got reverted back to adsl, the other one was the original socket thats been there all along (max it has been on is adsl)

Installing a new phone line certainly sounds drastic but I have no idea what kind of work it involves so

EDIT: Infinity says 'if you need a new line you wont pay a penny for blah blah' not sure if new line equates to extra line though, guess Ill have to contact them

Edited by jj02 (Tue 12-Aug-14 16:50:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Aug-14 17:17:58
Print Post

Most properties have two or more pairs of wires running to them, so capacity for two telephone lines is there.

Question is whether you want to pay two lots of voice line rental, to have ADSL and a fibre based service available at the same time.

Digital Region was still an Openreach telephone line, just with sub loop unbundling.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jj02
(newbie) Tue 12-Aug-14 17:46:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Most properties have two or more pairs of wires running to them, so capacity for two telephone lines is there.

Question is whether you want to pay two lots of voice line rental, to have ADSL and a fibre based service available at the same time.

Digital Region was still an Openreach telephone line, just with sub loop unbundling.

I am at 0.8mb, I will pay with my children's souls

P.S It is important to note I have no children
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 12-Aug-14 18:16:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Assuming that the second, suggested service is VDSL, what are the chances of cross-talk/mutual interference problems - any known installations?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Aug-14 18:19:21
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Saw no issues on mine, and others have reported no major impacts. Some said I'd kill my VDSL2 speeds by enabling it on my second line and no impact at all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 12-Aug-14 23:41:20
Print Post

Have you checked if your current ADSL provider will allow an in-contract upgrade to FTTC without penalty, just a new 18-month term? Most do.

-==-
DougM
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 13-Aug-14 07:51:42
Print Post

Have you any idea of WHY the speed is so low, at "0.8mb"?

-------------------------------------

For FTTC/VDSL Broadband to give you its normal speed range of up to 80 Mbps, the "D-Side" line from the PCP to your house needs to be relatively short, say less than about 1 Kilometre (1100 Yards); AND in GOOD CONDITION, also bearing in mind that the second pair of copper wires are in the same insulating sheath, so will generally be in a similar state to the present working pair.

That D-side line may not follow the "obvious" route to your home.

In my case, the PCP is about 50 Metres from my front door; BUT the D-Side Phone Line wanders about 250 Metres to get to it. No obvious reason, estate pre-wired all underground in 1967, green-field site.

Ironically the FTTC Cabinet is about 10 Metres from the front door; but its links to the PCP add an extra 50 Metres.

So my VDSL signals, originating 10 Metres from the door, have to cover 300 Metres to get there!

The E-side multi-way cable to the Exchange and the corresponding Fibre Feed pass within 5 Metres of that same door, with a 3-section underground phone services chamber in the pavement.

-----------------------------

I think you should try to sort out why the present ADSL Speed is so low at "0.8mb", before attempting any form and expense of upgrading, which might not achieve what you (and your non-children) desire.

At the risk of the wrath of others on the Forum, I suggest that you try the Quiet Line Test first, at NO COST (if you have a corded phone to hand); and only taking a few minutes, to get some idea of the basic state of the Phone Line to your house.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Aug-14 08:54:42
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Better to get connection speed attenuation and noise margin for the line. Also for person to see what speed estimate is for FTTC

Cab might be 100m away or in rare cases 3000m away

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to