General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WishPerfect
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Aug-14 19:10:33
Print Post

The Openreach modem...

[link to this post]

After my Netgear N300 router died (AFTER ONLY 3 WEEKS!) and I plugged in the replacement N600 router, I considered: What if the Openreach modem died instead? How do I replace it? More to the point, can I buy a spare? Or can I buy a combined unit and 'retire' the Openreach kit and Netgear N600? Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.

TA!

"My God...it's full of stars"

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the wickedest of men will do the wickedest of things for greatest good of everyone" J.M.K
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 12-Aug-14 19:14:09
Print Post

Re: The Openreach modem...

[re: WishPerfect] [link to this post]

Plenty on Ebay...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Aug-14 19:18:27
Print Post

Isp should arrange replacement if it dies but a replacement from ebay bought in advance will avoid downtime.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Aug-14 19:18:57
Print Post

If the modem dies, raise the fault with your CP, they will arrange it's replacement via Openreach.

Rumour has it spares are available on Ebay wink

There are some combined modem routers out there, the main three ISP's now provide one. Others can be bought, I daresay some one will chip in with the options shortly.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Aug-14 22:18:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I am very clever! Because I ordered Openreach Modem (with unlocked) from ebay and hide it away then openreach come to my house last February to install FTTC and he bring openreach modem (ECI) with him. When he disappear, I swap it over the ebay one I brought and keep ECI modem in cupboard just in case if the modem has died.

Edited by adslmax (Tue 12-Aug-14 22:19:17)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Aug-14 22:49:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, a spare doesn't need any information to work? I can just plug it in and it's OK?

I know, google is my friend!

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the wickedest of men will do the wickedest of things for greatest good of everyone" J.M.K
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Aug-14 22:53:27
Print Post

Thanks, a spare doesn't need any information to work? I can just plug it in and it's OK?

That's correct.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-Aug-14 00:55:21
Print Post

As Zarjaz says, unless someone has screwed it up - which of course applies to anything bought off eBay.

Just make sure it works for a few days while you can return it. Then put it away as a spare, or leave your existing one spare.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Aug-14 14:45:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Ta!

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Wed 13-Aug-14 18:34:53
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

that is illegal.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to