General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wolf359
(committed) Thu 14-Aug-14 08:58:55
Print Post

New line, not on database

[link to this post]

Hi, my daughter had a new line installed on Tuesday, line is active and adsl working fine, she wants fibre but the bt database still shows the address as not having a phone line so plusnet want to install a new line, again. How long should it take after install before the database reflects this?

Sky Fibre Unlimited

The force may be with them, but it won't prevent their assimilation
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Aug-14 09:18:12
Print Post

Re: New line, not on database

[re: wolf359] [link to this post]

Who is the ADSL with and what sort of contract is it on?
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Thu 14-Aug-14 11:38:25
Print Post

As I understand it, if your daughter has a MPF package with an LLU (she pays them for broadband and line rental), the line will not appear on BT's database.

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf 100
Exchange: SMYG
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: Broadcom
Router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:38.5dB - 40dB (weather dependent)
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 53% of ISP
Current sync: 9823kbps
FTTC cab in place but not enabled..... yet!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 11:48:21
Print Post

ADSL has a one month minimum contract at wholesale level if a BT Wholesale based service.

Generally takes 2 to 4 days for databases to update. Any reason for not ordering the FTTC service originally.

NOTE: As pointed out if this is full LLU via TalkTalk or Sky then the phone number will not work on the BT Wholesale checker, but full address should.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wolf359
(committed) Thu 14-Aug-14 12:10:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok to clarify she's with sky on LLU but is out of contract
She used their house move service to transfer to the new house
I'm aware it won't show on the checker but when she contacts plusnet they say her new address has no phone line at all and want to book a whole new line and engineer visit
fTTC wasn't available when she placed the home move and sky also insisted that it had to be a whole new number etc even though she was moving 10 yards and they could have simply moved the pair in the cab (which is what the engineer ended up doing anyway)
It seems that BT are just slow to update the database to reflect the line being present at the address, she can obviously book fttc with sky but wants to cancel the whole package and move to plusnet, partly because sky were useless during the home move and it took over 3 weeks before openreach installed the line even though sky agreed it should have been done within 12 days, plus openreach cancelled earlier appts without warning or explanation and sky were useless in chasing it up.

So it looks like she will have to wait until they update the database

Sky Fibre Unlimited

Edited by wolf359 (Thu 14-Aug-14 12:12:34)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 14-Aug-14 12:15:14
Print Post

If Sky have installed a line then it belongs to Sky. For BT to give you broadband, you'll need a BT line, that's why they want to install a new one. I doubt they will change anything at the house, just in the exchange.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User wolf359
(committed) Thu 14-Aug-14 16:45:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I don't think that's correct
I'm also with sky and was told very recently that I could move my line to plusnet without problems
Surely it's just a database error

Sky Fibre Unlimited

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 17:49:51
Print Post

You can probably port the number to BT, but there is the issue of contract, Home Move with providers often incurs a new minimum contract period to cover the costs of the new line etc that they paid out up front.

PlusNet need to do a simultaneous provide to get someone off of full LLU, since voice and broadband have to go at the same time. Or if the voice is done first, you can end up waiting a week or so for the broadband to catch up.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Aug-14 18:07:12
Print Post

Can I take my phone number with me?

If you’re an existing Sky customer, unfortunately we are not currently able to transfer your phone number to your new property.
It has to be a problem within their accounts computer system.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Aug-14 18:09:10
Print Post

That is to do with taking over an existing line, which is usually but not always possible. However a Sky LLU line does not appear on other ISPs' checkers.

Edit - I forgot frown, youngsyp already said this.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 14-Aug-14 18:10:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to