General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Aug-14 14:58:53
Print Post

Hotspot WiFi

[link to this post]

Does anyone know how to do Hotspot WiFi from my own FTTC WiFi that will work anywhere in UK. I rather want to use my own hotspot wifi directly from my home FTTC wifi hotspot?

Any tips?

If this question is rather silly then MrSaffron can removed this thread,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 15:31:47
Print Post

Re: Hotspot WiFi

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Is the question you want to be able to access some files on your home network, when out and about anywhere in the UK?

OR

How can get access to WiFi networks when I am away from home across the UK?

First question, is all about VPN and remote file sharing.
Second question is down to whether your broadband or mobile provider offers HotSpot WiFi access, e.g. OpenZone for BT, Cloud for Sky.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Aug-14 15:35:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Is the question you want to be able to access some files on your home network, when out and about anywhere in the UK?

This!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 16:02:04
Print Post

Two choices really:

1. Router that can run as a VPN server and you VPN into the router using a VPN client and then you will appear the same as if on your home LAN. This is what businesses do.

2. A router like the Asus range that offer various cloud/remote access to files with username and password login protection (check it does work) and more aimed at the consumer arena.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Aug-14 16:04:42
Print Post

Thanks Mrsaffron!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Aug-14 16:17:34
Print Post

Or there are also things like the Western Digital MyBook devices that can be Internet accessible (they have their own file servers in them).

EDIT : Or WorldBook they might be called now.

Edited by ian72 (Thu 14-Aug-14 16:18:53)

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Thu 14-Aug-14 16:21:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

OR

How can get access to WiFi networks when I am away from home across the UK?

First question, is all about VPN and remote file sharing.
Second question is down to whether your broadband or mobile provider offers HotSpot WiFi access, e.g. OpenZone for BT, Cloud for Sky.

It should be noted, seeing as the OP specifically mentioned WiFi, that you also need the second question answer to enable the first.

(MrS, how did you decipher that one?)

PS A Fon router is probably the best all round solution , worldwide, for question 2.

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Thu 14-Aug-14 16:29:47)

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Thu 14-Aug-14 16:22:35
Print Post

You don't need a VPN or any 'special' hardware to achieve what you want. An RDP link and having the correct ports forwarded in your router will allow access to you LAN from the web.
Or if you have an Android device or Apple device TeamViewer is the app you require, plus a solution to 'wake' the hardware remotely.

What you need:

1. WAN/ public IP address of your router (where a static IP makes things much easier).
2. Forward TCP port 3389 on your router.
3. Verify you're allowing RDP connections through your firewall.
4. Allow RDP connections on the local computer.
5. If the device within your LAN isn't 'always on' you'll need a way of waking it over the web. Search for 'wake on wan' or 'magic packets' for a suitable tool.

I uses this to connect from a Windows 8 Tablet to my server in the loft at home. I don't use it for file transfer, mainly due to my upload data throughput rate but, it will allow that too.

All the above assumes it's a Windows PC, with the applicable OS, you're attempting to access. Maybe assuming too much there...

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf 100
Exchange: SMYG
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: Broadcom
Router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:38.5dB - 40dB (weather dependent)
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 53% of ISP
Current sync: 9823kbps
FTTC cab in place but not enabled..... yet!

Edited by youngsyp (Thu 14-Aug-14 16:30:37)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Aug-14 17:16:40
Print Post

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

Interesting. Thanks you all.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 14-Aug-14 17:34:48
Print Post

I suggest that you take a look at TeamViewer and similar software.

I have TeamViewer running on all four PCs, with the smallest, the ASUS Netbook, being the mobile one taken on journeys, using normally airport, hotel-provided and on-coach WiFi to make contact with the other three.

W 7 - ASUS Netbook

W 7 - HP Laptop

W8.1 - New HP Tower

Ubuntu - Old HP Tower, previously XP

TV gives access to them in various ways, including onward access to the USB Port on the EE BrightBox Modem/Router.

I can both access and run files on the various PCs; transfer files between them, control and also have VPNs.

By definition of course, the other PCs as relevant have to be left powered up; or someone available to do so.
-----------------------

TeamViewer has also been useful when updating etc the Netbook at home. It presents the Netbook Screen at a larger scale on the larger controlling PC, saving eye-strain etc.

-----------------------

If you follow this path with TV or any of the other versions, I would strongly recommend that you install and experiment with it, at home, beforehand.

Also give each PC a clear-cut different identity, to make them easier to identify, eg the Netbook "belongs" to our two cats, the Laptop to my lady-wife; and are identified accordingly.

It has other facilities which I have not used, similar to SKYPE; and for demonstrating to other remote users.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to