General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User StripeyMiata
(newbie) Sun 17-Aug-14 12:50:55
Print Post

Moved from BT Infinity to another ISP, big speed jump, why?

[link to this post]

I was on Unlimited BT Infinity 1 and I was very happy with it, it was rock solid and fast enough for me, I averaged about 26Mb downloads which was fine, I couldn't get the faster BT Infinity 2. I left them for other reasons I'll not bore you with.

So I recently moved to AAISP and much to my surprise I'm averaging 31Mb. Can anyone explain why. I wasn't using the BT Homehub, have my own Cisco router which I use for both so identical hardware.

I was getting 26Mb pretty much over the 2 years of BT, so can't be congestion. Do BT delibertly slow down the connection for some reason?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Aug-14 12:53:22
Print Post

Re: Moved from BT Infinity to another ISP, big speed jump, w

[re: StripeyMiata] [link to this post]

Are you using the Openreach modem with that router? If so, did you ever reboot the modem whilst on Infinity?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StripeyMiata
(newbie) Sun 17-Aug-14 12:59:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, it's the same Openreach Modem. I didn't reboot it often, I would turn everything off when I went away on holidays/weekends so that would have been 4 or 5 times a year. Otherwise it just stayed up, as I said I found BT Infinity totally reliable so didn't need to.

In the early days I had a HomeHub 4, I ditched it for the Cisco as the Wireless was pretty bad. Funny thing is the Cicso caused the speed (with Ethernet) to increase slightly, from 25Mb to 26Mb.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Aug-14 13:30:16
Print Post

[re: StripeyMiata] [link to this post]

Probably not that then.

Have you also changed your computer, and if so was the previous one Windows XP?

Also it sounds as though you are connecting wirelessly to the router. Have you moved it at all, as a few cms or a slight rotation can change wireless speeds a lot.

(I'm trying to rule out changes other than the ISP smile).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to