General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Terryphi
(regular) Mon 18-Aug-14 14:39:34
Print Post

FTTC for Schools (Wales)

[link to this post]

Ferryside exchange is scheduled for upgrade to fibre in March 2015 under the Superfast Wales programme. A few days ago I spotted an Openreach engineer working with fibre cable in the centre of the village in an underground chamber adjoining what I believe to be cabinet 1. Naturally, I asked him if this was in connection with the fibre upgrade of this cabinet which serves my home. He said it was only for the school about 50 yards away and he was unaware of the timetable for the exchange.

Do schools connect to a street cabinet like other property? If so, does this mean that fibre has already been laid to this cabinet location? Is the FTTC to Schools programme completely independent of the Superfast Wales programme?

IDNet Home Max
Running on Linux Mint 17
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Aug-14 14:55:44
Print Post

Re: FTTC for Schools (Wales)

[re: Terryphi] [link to this post]

I suspect the underground chamber was being used for routing the fibre rather than anything to do with the cab.

The school is probably using a dedicated leased fibre - this technology has been around for years and has no relation to the FTTC/FTTP products that have more recently been implemented.

The technology the school is using is also significantly more expensive and out of the reach financially for most individuals.
Standard User Terryphi
(regular) Mon 18-Aug-14 15:09:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for the explanation, Ian. That makes sense.

IDNet Home Max
Running on Linux Mint 17

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WelshWArrior
(experienced) Mon 18-Aug-14 19:26:14
Print Post

I work in a large secondary school in Pembrokeshire and we've had 2 x 100meg fibre lines for at least 8yrs. I can confirm that they are direct from the exchange and our network joins these in a comms Cabinet in our Point of Presence (PoP) room. They are a lot more expensive than the Fibre BT is providing.

-------------------------------------------
PlusNet ADSL2+ Unlimited.
Speedtest
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Aug-14 22:14:27
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

I seem to recall the name Updata being associated with "public sector" fibre access in Pembrokeshire

Updata were recently sold to Capita. It will be interesting to see if BT can make inroads to this area now they are rolling out fibre to some parts of some exchanges in Pembrokeshire.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI - Now back with Enta - Improving steadily BACKWARDS
SWPM PCP29 - A terrible Line on a poor cabinet, still waiting for Superfarce Cymru to get our upgrade to Fibre done.... 10+ years of instability and mystery resyncs - no wonder people call them OPENJOKE.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Aug-14 08:35:13
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Capita over the last 5 years have bought at least 2 companies that do this sort of networking, Updata being the latest.

There are quite a few others as well. Certainly Synetrix and Xpert Systems were both active around this area for schools. And that is not counting the big companies like Virgin and RM that do this sort of schools connectivity. And spreading the net wider there are loads of companies that do business lease lines (including the likes of Zen).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Aug-14 08:38:23
Print Post

Fibre is possible almost anywhere and even remote islands are possible if your pocket is deep enough

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Aug-14 08:40:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And sometimes that pocket needs to be very deep. We did have a quote for a school years ago that had an installation cost of £372,000. They were about 6 miles from the exchange and the fibre had to be run over poles all the way.

Needless to say we decided not to provide it.
Standard User unknown101
(newbie) Tue 19-Aug-14 16:40:22
Print Post

I know Logicalis have a big programme in Wales for ethernet circuits to most if not all schools to provide them with 100meg circuits - the engineers were probably cabling for this. It has nothing to do with FTTC it will be a dedicated fibre from the exchange.
Standard User Icaras
(member) Tue 19-Aug-14 19:19:02
Print Post

Poles all the way? Why?

If the poles were already there that would be cheap but I'm guessing in your example they weren't.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to