General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User brettuk
(member) Mon 18-Aug-14 20:26:59
Print Post

Fibre Very Slow

[link to this post]

Hi Folks,

I had fibre installed today, I was told by the openreach engineer that my line was the best line he's ever seen in his career, as the green box is literally outside my house. So he said that my line was capable of 79.99mbps down and 19.99 mbps up, using the raw tools he had, testing the line. I've also gone for the 80/20 option with Plusnet.

However, since having it installed and doing some speed tests, I'm actually getting more like 18mbps up (which is fine) and 18mbps down (which isn't). Before, I had a ADSL service which had 18mbps down and 1mbps up.

Is this something that will correct over the next few days? Or is this something I should raise a support ticket with Plusnet about?

Thanks Folks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Aug-14 20:48:11
Print Post

Re: Fibre Very Slow

[re: brettuk] [link to this post]

What does bt wholesalesale speedtest say and what is the configured ip profile in the plusnet profile?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Aug-14 21:26:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by brettuk:
Or is this something I should raise a support ticket with Plusnet about?

Sometimes Plusnet gets the wrong speed information from Openreach, so artificially limits your download speed.

MrSaffron's suggestion is the one you would get in the Plusnet forum, check these, and then raise a problem ticket if they are way different.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Aug-14 21:42:43
Print Post

It is possible your connection has not yet been fully activated at the Plusnet end.

Please can you run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (you can ignore all the red instructions), then continue to the Further diagnostics at the bottom of the results page.

Then copy and paste the full contents of the down and up text boxes smile.

Into that post paste the Plusnet Current line speed, from Member centre >> Connection settings >> High speed Broadband.

smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Aug-14 02:52:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What does bt wholesalesale speedtest say and what is the configured ip profile in the plusnet profile?

Plusnet say u cannot get ip profile from BTw Performance Test, must wait after 14 days of your first fibre went LIVE.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Aug-14 09:57:54
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Plusnet say u cannot get ip profile from BTw Performance Test, must wait after 14 days of your first fibre went LIVE.

Even if that is true there is no harm in trying. I didn't have to wait 14 days, it worked straight away.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User brettuk
(member) Tue 19-Aug-14 11:37:06
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Hey

I did the test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8yu310el4jps63/Screenshot...

There's definitely something wrong - I was going to try the further test, but the site kept giving a 500 error so I couldn't proceed.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Aug-14 11:38:06
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
In reply to a post by adslmax:

Even if that is true there is no harm in trying. I didn't have to wait 14 days, it worked straight away.

I don't understand and don't know why Plusnet say u have to wait for 14 days and some other Plusnet say it will be get ip profile straight away when fibre went live.

But Funny, BT Speedtest never work anymore after it was worked for me from late February until a week ago when it finally never work again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Aug-14 12:46:14
Print Post

IP Profile is good, so backing up what engineer says, so suggestion is that PlusNet side IP profile may be your issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Aug-14 13:26:17
Print Post

I recently found my previously great Plusnet fibre connection was running at 18 up 0.8-7(!!) down. After checking the profile and my sync speed, which seemed OK, I decided to change gateways by rebooting. That seemed to work.

EDIT:

Here's a gateway checker(although it's just the first hop beyond your router e.g. lo0-central10.pcl-ag01.plus.net (195.166.128.182) ) - http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

Edited by Spud2003 (Tue 19-Aug-14 13:57:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to