General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User crunchyf123
(newbie) Thu 21-Aug-14 13:20:25
Print Post

cables and connections question

[link to this post]

i live in a shared house and my current adsl2+ connection is connected to the bt socket
in someone elses room via a long rj11 to the hallway where my adsl2+ wifi-router is located.

from what i have seen, a new fiber connection requires a new modem next to the bt socket then via another cable to a router or is it all in one ?
(im now using sky and stuck in contract and will upgrade to fiber)

my problem is the people in that room. they would like to use the net but dont want to contribute to the cost without being constantly chased for the money (i cut them off due to constant late payments) so i dont want the fiber modem in their room i want it where i have my router in the hallway so i have access at all times and to prevent tampering.

what type of cables would i need to connect the fiber modem to the socket ?
it would need to be 10m long approx, is it just a simple case of an rj11 type cable
like i have now ? or will i need to have the bt socket extended into the hallway ?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Aug-14 13:22:10
Print Post

Re: cables and connections question

[re: crunchyf123] [link to this post]

If you get an engineer install then you can request a data extension which will allow you to put the data socket somewhere away from the master socket.
Standard User crunchyf123
(newbie) Thu 21-Aug-14 13:31:54
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

ahh so its a separate socket that would be installed next to the main phone socket ?
so im looking at an extra cost here ?

hmmm the socket is actually on the second floor too so this is not as simple as i hoped.

i was hoping to avoid extra cost as upgrading to sky fiber from adsl2+ ment i would not have to pay the £50 activation fee just a higher monthly cost....... why does it have to be
so complicated tongue
oh well i will have to talk to sky about this and see what extra costs will be involved.

thanks for the reply

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Aug-14 13:40:40
Print Post

How complicated is the route between where the socket is and where you want the router to be? The extension kit (30 metres worth) I believe is still free but if it requires lifting carpets, drilling, etc then they won't do it.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Thu 21-Aug-14 13:43:29
Print Post

Every home has a Master,(Main), socket where the telephone line enters the building. All other telephone sockets are "extensions".
On a fibre install you can request a "move" of the Master" socket to, within reason, anywhere you want.

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Thu 21-Aug-14 13:45:43)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Aug-14 14:07:31
Print Post

Depends on what you order.

e.g. the main Sky fibre service is self install, i.e. they send out a Sky hub with filters and you plug it in just like you do now. This can impact on speeds if you have numerous extensions or it is poorly wired.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Aug-14 16:08:32
Print Post

Might be less hassle in the long term if you get the NTE5 master socket moved to a "secure" location.

However you could do a similar thing yourself by blanking off the current NTE5 master socket and running CAT5 cable from the back of the blank faceplate to an extension socket in the required location. That extension socket could then be fitted with a filtered faceplate, into the front of which you could connect a phone and the modem/router. With this setup the test socket would still be available back at the NTE5 master if and when required.
  Print Thread

Jump to