General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User John99
(newbie) Thu 21-Aug-14 21:31:48
Print Post

Belkin modem router

[link to this post]

Hiya,

I have a Belkin AC 1200 DB wireless modem router ( F9J1106 v1)

I have ordered Unlimited Fibre 2 from Zen

Will the engineer be able to connect a modem to my wan port which currently has a connection from the Belkin separate modem which is a dual cable with the power plug on also.

Or is this router no good.? Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Aug-14 21:42:23
Print Post

Re: Belkin modem router

[re: John99] [link to this post]

I'm not sure what you mean re the power plug, but that router should work fine, connected as you say to the Ethernet feed from the Openreach modem.

However, there are two sort of "Engineer install". The standard one is that the engineer's job is to get the modem (and line) working properly. The "Managed install" used by BT Retail (and a couple of others I think) the engineer also connects up the router and makes sure the internet connection through the ISP is made. I don't know which Zen provides.

In any case, it's an Ethernet cable from the modem to your router, and depending on the ISP you either enter your login username and password or you let TR-069 do its stuff.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 21-Aug-14 21:43:06)

Standard User John99
(newbie) Fri 22-Aug-14 08:45:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for that info. What I mean by the power plug is this :
My Belkin router is powered by a combined power modem which has 2 leads one goes into the wan/modem port and the other goes into the router power port.

What I wanted to know is when the fibre is fitted and the new modem will go in the wan port will I still have to leave the old power modem plugged in so that it's powered.

Or will the new modem also have an Ethernet lead and a power lead similar to what I've already got.

Zen tell me an engineer will fit a new base plate and modem I assume they will also want to see them working.

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Aug-14 08:49:02
Print Post

Sounds like you are using Power over Ethernet, and the Openreach modems do not provide this.

So you will need to power the router via its own power lead.

What currently produces the power input to this lead?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User John99
(newbie) Fri 22-Aug-14 09:09:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have what's called a power modem which I presume is a combined modem and 12 volt transformer from the mains.

The power lead and modem cable are combined till a few inches before they reach the router where they split so you could as you say leave the power lead in and leave the wan port free for the new modem.

Thanks.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Aug-14 09:19:53
Print Post

What is the model of this modem?

From what I can see the belkin you mention in the first post is a combined ADSL/ADSL2+ modem/router. For ADSL it doesn't need a separate modem. It also isn't obvious if it supports a separate modem to route via an Ethernet WAN port.

If you can post the model information for both devices then maybe we will be able to understand the situation better - at the moment I think most of us are a little confused as to exactly what you have.
Standard User John99
(newbie) Fri 22-Aug-14 09:33:05
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hiya.

false

That is the modem router I have it's about 4 months old.

The picture doesn't show the separate modem router which has a phone connection and a combined power lead and Ethernet output which splits at the other end. This came in the box with the router and it's called a Belkin Power Modem model no : F9J1000UK v1

Here is an Ebay picture :

false

Thanks

p.s. why do the web site links say false but still work ?

Edited by John99 (Fri 22-Aug-14 09:34:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Aug-14 10:04:33
Print Post

Just looks like some funky power supply and looks like it claims the ADSL modem is in the power supply.

Me thinks recipe for disaster and noise issues, but then it is Belkin.

So looks like just leave the Ethernet disconnected, and connect the power plug and connect the Openreach modem Ethernet cable into the WAN socket on the AC1200 and configure it for a PPPoE Ethernet WAN service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User John99
(newbie) Fri 22-Aug-14 10:11:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I wonder if I would be better ditching the Belkin although it's quite new and getting a router suitable for fibre.

I have no idea which one would be best.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Aug-14 10:15:59
Print Post

From what I've seen the Belkin should work fine with a FTTC service, The power supply/modem just becomes a power supply ONLY.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to